Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Can Restasis be used when wearing contact lenses. Obviously

Can Restasis be used when wearing contact lenses.

Obviously off label. My daughter (15) had a detached retina 2 years ago. 3 surgeries later (last one was to remove oil and install cataract replacement lens.

Since then she has suffered with dry eyes and Irites. The corneal surface is like sandpaper and the irites is rated at 2 for the past few months. She has made improvement on cornea with band aid contact. She first started with a 30 day but she did not like it as it became dirty and switched to daily wear. We just did a 1 week Durezol and pressure is up to 21. (seconds try with steroid in 2 years with same result) Yesterday new Opthamalagist. Inserted new plug (carterization opened up) 14 day lens . to protect from possible daily use causing problems and we received a prescription for restasis and Vigamox along with a referral to an Uvites specialist.

We were unhappy with the Doctors bedside manor and I spoke with her supervisor who she consulted with. I asked if it was OK to use the restasis and vigamox with the lens in. She said yes but I am unable to find any corroboration on-line.

This is complicated enough and I know there is a limit to what you can tell me so to repeat my question. Is it OK to use the restasis and / or vigamox with the lens in.

Thanks
Category: Eye
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No response yet.
Thanks

Thank you. Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly:-)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

The correct "Party Line" is to tell you that you can not use those drops with contacts in. This is because they have a preservative in them that can bind to the matrix of the contact lens.

That being said, in almost two decades of practice, I've learned that you will be fine to use the drops with the soft bandage contact lens in, especially seeing as you are throwing the lens out every day as a daily wear lens.

Sorry to hear about all the problems your daughter is having with continued inflammation, especially since she seems to be a steroid responder with rising IOP while using the meds.

So. The botXXXXX XXXXXne? Use the vigamox and restasis with the bandage lens in place.

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The current lens is the 14 day lens. If it was the daily lens we would just take it out and replace it as they cost $1.00 each but we are not suppose to remove the 14 day lens until the dr does so at the next appt 10 days after insertion.

Can we use the drops with the 14 day lens?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thanks for clearing that up.

You will still be OK to use the drops with the contact lens in.

I hope your daughters eye gets better soon :)
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest