Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765
Eye

Hello, One of my pupils is noticeably larger than the other.

One of my pupils is... Show More
One of my pupils is noticeably larger than the other. It's not always been like this, but developed within the last week or so after a time of heavy stress.

I heard that your body being in high anxiety or your adrenals can affect your pupil size. Is this true?

Other than that, I feel okay. No headaches, no vision problems, etc.

Can you adrenals or stress make one of your pupils more dilated than the other one? Thanks.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

I am, thanks!

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is true that during times of stress or anxiety when there is a rush of adrenaline, the sympathetic nerve drive causes the pupils to dilate. But this would be expected to be seen in both the pupils and not just one. But both pupils can never be of the same size and thus there can be a marginal difference between the two pupils.

Customer:

I recently had bloodwork done and everything was fine. Do you think it's possible the anxiety and nervousness can cause just one to be larger than the other?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

An abnormal pupil reaction usually is a sign of optic nerve dysfunction or a massive retinal lesion or a lesion in the optic pathway. But the first thing to be noticed in any of these conditions is reduced vision.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since the vision is good in both the eyes in your case, this slightly larger pupil in one eye may not of much significance.

Customer:

That helps. I kept reading things online about aneurysms and it just made my anxiety worse.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I know. Online stuff can be very informative but at the same time one would not know where to draw the line and not get carried away or get scared. I guess you can just keep away from all that for the moment and just relax and de-stress.

Customer:

Thank you so much Dr!

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist