Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

Got a 50% or possibly less spray of phosphoric in my eyes.

Got a 50% or possibly less spray of phosphoric in my eyes. Flushed and used saline. Still very mildly irritated this morning with minor swelling under eye. Anything else I should do?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Apart from the minor swelling of the lids, is there any redness/pain/watering from the eyes? How is the vision in the eyes?

Customer: Visions seems to be fine. I was wearing contacts at the time and removed them quickly. Left eye is fine. Right eye has some minor itchiness to it. Seems dry.
Customer: The swelling is the skin underneath the eye not the lid
Customer: Right eye feels a little tired and dry. May be just from holding it open and flushing it a lot
Customer: Phosphoric acid by the way
Dr. A.S. Desai :

In that case there is unlikely to be any serious chemical injury to the eye per se. You have just done the right thing by giving a thorough eye wash immediately( as is the protocol). In addition you can start putting lubricating eye drops to flush out any remaining irritant and to give a soothening effect to the eyes and for relief from dry eye sensation.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You can use preservative free Refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4 times a day.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is available over the counter.

Customer: Ok this is what I figured. No examination for possible structural damage to the eye or tear duct is necessary?
Dr. A.S. Desai :

You can even give a cold compress to reduce the swelling under the eye.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Not that I think so. An eye exam would have been necessary in case of presence of other eye symptoms such as redness/pain/watering or photophobia.

Customer: Only itchiness. No pain really. My contact actually may have prevented more damage I'm thinking.
Customer: Right eye feels a bit slower or tired. Is this caused by the dryness?
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes. If the irritation or itching persists , then you can add Alaway eye drops( ketotifen) , 1 drop twice a day for 1 week. Also it would be better to discontinue the wear of contact lenses for atleast 1week even if there are no eye symptoms and discontinue for 2 weeks if irritation persists beyond 1 week.

Customer: Also right eye doesn't seem to tear up or get wet as easily as left. Drops will help this?
Customer: Why should I discontinue wearing contacts. For my work it makes things a lot simpler.
Dr. A.S. Desai :

The itching or tiredness could be due to the contact of the chemical which could have incited some amount of inflammation within. Yes, lubricating eye drops will help to give relief tp the right eye .

Customer: Can I wear them for work and take them out when I get home?
Dr. A.S. Desai :

I understand that but wearing of contact lenses are not advisable in case of chemical injury as there is a risk of inflammation in the eye which can get aggravated by contacts. If cornea is absolutely clear, then you can wear the contacts ( a new pair). But continue using lubricating eye drops for atleast 2-3 weeks.

Customer: Ok sounds good. Thanks for the help. Cornea does appear clear.
Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.Thank you and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist