Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified & Fellowship trained eye surgeon.

treatment for excessive dry eyes, blepharitis, and clogged oil glands which have caused mi

treatment for excessive dry eyes, blepharitis, and clogged oil glands which have caused mis-directed eyelashes that have been cauterized three times?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Susan :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I am currently online and able to help answer your questions. Are you available to chat?

Dr. Susan :

I am sorry to hear that you have had such an ordeal.

Customer:

Yes, I can chat. I thought another doctor with a phd was going to answer...

Dr. Susan :

Unfortunately, blepharitis is a chronic condition and it waxes and wanes. The goal is get you to a point that you are comfortable.

Customer:

what can I do and must I keep doing the hot compresses daily and how many; it is a pain in the butt.

Dr. Susan :

The doctors whom are online rotate and although you see the profiles for all- they may not be online at the time you post your question. I am an ophthalmologist specializing in the anterior segment and see this problem EVERY day. I would be more than happy to help you.

Dr. Susan :

YES- unfortunately, the warm compress and daily lid scrubs are KEY.

Customer:

I would like to know if somethng permanantly can be done for the clogged oil glands.

Dr. Susan :

As good as the tobradex ointment and azasite are, they can not be used chronically.

Dr. Susan :

no

Customer:

My doc told me he doesn't have the machine or type of thing that can unclog the oil glands because it cost $1000. That is why I asked about the permanent solution.

Dr. Susan :

the clogging can be relieved, temporarily

Customer:

He also thinks I have rosacia. Is there a condition like that of the eyes that will require that I must stay on Minocycline forever?

Dr. Susan :

The machine he is talking about is new and there heve been some good results but I have not seen how patients respond long term.

Dr. Susan :

I have many patients that I keep on low dose minocycline for years.

Dr. Susan :

Have you had problems with it?

Dr. Susan :

Have you seen a dermatologist for the rosacea?

Customer:

I also asked him what I can use as frar as a moisturizer around my eyes or face since the daily scrubs of twice or more each day of the eyelids is causing such dryness. what do you suggest?

Customer:

I have never had roscia to my knowledge; I was using a new moisturizer with some acid in it when he saw me.

Dr. Susan :

tell me what else you are using- are you just on the washes and warm compress? any topical medications at this point?

Dr. Susan :

are you on any other new medications for other medical problems?

Customer:

No, I have not had problems with it, but am wondering if I will eventually turn blue. And, I do have dry mouth at night. I went off of my blood pressure med which I thought might be causing it. They can't seem to find one to agree with me. I have bad reactions to generic and I am poor, now.

Dr. Susan :

the minocycline is getting expensive?

Customer:

He did not give me any topical meds. I had to ask for the last anti-biotic eye drop. I thought this was reoccuring with painful, condition, and bloodshot eyes.

Customer:

The minocycline is about $36. I have a Pacenet card for poor in PA.

Dr. Susan :

right but everything together adds up!

Customer:

i have lower lid that is red in one spot and keep wondering if I need something more; it can come and go...

Customer:

I feel better with the Azasite and it is expensive, too. About the same.

Dr. Susan :

I would recommend the warm compresses 2-3x per day, then wash your lids with a wash called STERILID. You can get it at CVS.

Customer:

But, it is almost gone; I began it a week ago last Monday.

Dr. Susan :

Azasite is good but too expensive and runs out quickly

Dr. Susan :

The sterilid isgood for the dry skin too.

Customer:

I have been using baby shampoo on the lids am and pm and once in awhile if I put makeup on or try an eye makeup--I wash it again when I come home. Is this caused by bacteria, uncleanliness, or the microscopic bugs on our eyelashes?

Dr. Susan :

Then I would keep you on doxycycline/minocycline 100mg two times a day when things are bad and then when you calm down take it to 50mg per day if you are petite woman and 100mg if a larger woman.

Dr. Susan :

It is multifactorial- it is not uncleanliness though.

Dr. Susan :

The glands can hypersecrete (produce too much oils) then it becames a nice medium for more bacteria to grow on. We all have bacteria that naturally lives on our lids.

Dr. Susan :

For you, it is probably your complexion, your other medications (for other medical problems), hormonal, seasonal!

Customer:

If glands are clogged, which may have caused my dry eyes for years and I used Refresh for years---how is it that over production of oil can be causing blepharitis?

Dr. Susan :

it is clogging the pores and not allowing them to be secreted into your tear film.

Customer:

I weigh 172, am about 5'4" have ostepenic condition, take only natural things have gone off BP and cholesterol meds for now, take calcium and Vd, and B w/C and extra Vit B 12

Dr. Susan :

Ok good! so you are healthy. Another suggestion that I have for you is to start omega 3 fatty acids daily. Omega fatty acids have been found to help with this condition

Customer:

Dr says he could put plugs in, would that help me? and are there different plugs for different type of glands?

Customer:

I am wondering if my red eyelids, inside, mean there is something else that is wrong?

Dr. Susan :

Yes- plugs are great for dry eyes. the little tear that are on your eyes will stay there longer and help to lubricate your eyes.

Customer:

Yes, I do take Omega 3's via Schiff Mega Red and eat them, too.

Dr. Susan :

well the redness is a sign of inflammation which is what the blepharitis is. The antibiotics by mouth help to settle this inflammation.

Customer:

Since having treatment, my eyes are not as dry and that is a blessing. Guess I just hate that I now have this chronic condition and that a previous doctor saw it about 3 years ago and didn't help me with it.

Dr. Susan :

that is unfortunate! But you are not alone, a lot pf people suffer from this condition. It will get better. You just need to go through a series of different medications until you figure out the correct regimine for you.

Customer:

Sorry that I have been so long on this. Is there any way that I can print out what all you did tell me. It was helpful. I didn't kow that the inflamation was from the bleph.

Dr. Susan :

I will email our converstation to the moderator and have them email you a script.

Customer:

Are the hot compresses to relieve the clogged oil glands?

Dr. Susan :

yes: warm compresses to unclog; washes to clear the debris; antibiotics to decrease the inflammation; artificial tears/plugs to lubricate the surface

Customer:

Thank you very much, Susan.

Dr. Susan :

You are welcome!

I am glad that you have found this helpful. Please press the green ACCEPT button so that I can get credit for my efforts. Any positive feedback is MUCH appreciated!

Dr. Susan :

Good luck!

Customer:

Susan, one more thing what exactly causes the eyelashes to grow wrong?

Dr. Susan :

chronic inflammation- the architecture of the glands and lash roots change with scarring and they don't grow back how they were intented to grow.

Customer:

You have been more helpful than my doc Thanks!

Dr. Susan, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Board Certified & Fellowship trained eye surgeon.