Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Because I have had caderacts removed in both eyes and left

Because I have had caderacts removed in both eyes and left eye went far wrong and a I can only see a image. How safe are the corena implants?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

A cornea transplant is a good way to restore vision after your native cornea has failed. It is a pretty extensive surgery but it is done thousands of times every year with good results. Don't get me wrong -- it is more invasive then cataract surgery but, in the hands of an experienced cornea expert it can help to restore vision.

Dr. Rick :

There is also a surgery that replaces the cells on the inside of your cornea (the endothelial cells) called DSEK. It doesn't involve taking off your cornea and, in selected cases, it can restore corneal function with less surgery.

Dr. Rick :

I see you are in the chat room. Is there anything else you would like to ask me?

Customer:

I was told nothing more could be done on left eye. The right eye is losing vision fast. I do not want to go blind.

Dr. Rick :

I can understand your fears. If your ophthalmologist told that you could be helped by a corneal transplant I can assure that you this is a well established surgery that is done successfully across the globe everyday. Does it have risks? Of course it does -- every surgery has risks, as does life itself. But, if a cornea doc has told you that she can help you with this surgery and your only other option is to watch your vision get worse, I would suggest you proceed with the treatment.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you went offlline for a bit. Welcome back.

Dr. Rick :

I guess that you have stepped away from your computer. We can switch to the Q&A system and continue to work on your question there. An email will be sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. See you there :o)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.