Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My 8 year old son has been complaining for a few days that

My 8 year old son has been complaining for a few days that his eye is sore/pressure. Four days ago he was bumped in the face during a basketball game - by what? a shoulder? a basketball? Could just be coincidence. There has been no visible sign until today when the area below his lower lid, especially near the lacrimal duct, began to get progressively swollen and red. There doesn't appear to be a cyst. No excessive watering or discharge. Tried a warm wet compress tonight. Didn't seem to help. I hope it wasn't the wrong thing to do. Waiting to see how things appear in the morning. What would warrant a trip to the doctor?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

How hard do you think your son was hit four days ago?

Dr. Rick :

I think that the basketball incident is not really related to the current issue.

Customer:

He teared up and sat out for a while but shook it off pretty quickly.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like he is coming down with a chalazion or a stye

Dr. Rick :

The most common cause for swelling or bump on the eyelid is a chalazion or a stye. These bumps form when a gland in your eyelid gets plugged up and possibly infected. It is very often associated with a condition called blepharitis.

The treatment for this condition, however, is not antibiotics but rather cleaning the eyelids with baby shampoo. Buy some unscented baby shampoo and, in the shower, put the shampoo on your index fingers. Close your eyes, and raise your eyelids (to get skin out of the way) and scrub back and forth along your EYELASH margin. This is where the gland openings are located. The warm water will soften the gunk in the plugged glands, the friction and pressure of your fingers will massage the glands, forcing the gunk out and the shampoo will wash it away. You can also use warm compress to the affected lids during the day as your schedule allows.

This treatment will help to treat the bump on your eyelid while at the same time solving your underlying blepharitis. The lump may take many weeks to go away but you should notice some improvement in a few days or so.

Dr. Rick :

Antibiotics are not indicated in this condition and the above home therapy should clear things up in a day or so.

Customer:

there doesn't seem to be any visible bump

Dr. Rick :

You asked when you should take him to the ophthalmologist? Well, if you are worried you can never go wrong by taking him in.

Dr. Rick :

Otherwise, if the eyeball itself becomes red, if he complains that the light hurts his eye or says his vision seems to be affected. Also, sometimes, if the bump doesn't go away in a few weeks it might need to be surgically incised and drained in the eye doctors office. In an otherwise healthy 8 year old boy I would bet that it won't come to that.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

I was puzzled because I haven't seen any kind of discharge. If anything, he eye seems dryer than normal.

Dr. Rick :

When a stye is just starting there may not be a bump....only a red, perhaps tender spot.

Dr. Rick :

There is not normally any external discharge with this condition

Customer:

thanks. I guess we will see what the morning brings. may be an appt the the eye doc. thanks

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Make sure he is seen by an ophthalmologist.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.