Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified & Fellowship trained eye surgeon.
60442262

My daughters right eyelid is swollen and red for no reason.

My daughter's right eyelid is swollen and red for no reason. About two weeks her left had the exact same symptoms which cleared up in a couple days. Should I be concerned?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Susan : Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I am currently online and able to help answer your questions. Are you available to chat?
Dr. Susan : How old is your daughter?
Customer:

17

Dr. Susan : Describe the eyelid please.
Dr. Susan : How long was it swollen?
Customer:

red and puffy

Customer:

this is the second day

Dr. Susan : Is it itchy or painful?
Customer:

the last time the left eye was red and puffy about 5 days

Customer:

when she touches it it hurts and she says when she closes her eye it hurts a little

Customer:

just the corner

Dr. Susan :

It sounds like she may be suffering from blepharitis. Blepharitis causes a blockage of the glands of the eyelid. When these glands get blocked it can cause swelling of the eyelid and the formation of styes and chalazions.

Dr. Susan :

This blockage can occur because of change in weather, hormones, makeup, genetics.

Dr. Susan :

It is more common in caucasians with rosy complexions.

Customer:

It cant be genetics

Dr. Susan :

why?

Customer:

cause I perfect lol

Dr. Susan :

I meant skin complexion- not the condition.

Customer:

what should we do?

Dr. Susan :

Funny!

Dr. Susan :

Best thing at this time is warm compresses for 10 minutes at a time.

Dr. Susan :

If she can do it 3-4 times per day it well be great.

Customer:

is this something that is very concerning or it will just pass with time?

Dr. Susan :

Additionally, she should start washing her lids with baby shampoo twice a day- the lashes themselves.

Dr. Susan :

It actually can wax and wane. Sometimes she may get flare up and then nothing for months...

Dr. Susan :

the daily washes can help prevent future episodes.

Customer:

Okay warm compression 3-4 times a day and wash with baby shampoo.

Dr. Susan :

Some people get flare ups so often that they actually need to be but on medications by mouth.

Customer:

will this damage her sight?

Dr. Susan :

YEs- start with that and if it keeps recurring talk to the eye specialist about doing on doxycycline.

Dr. Susan :

No damage to the eyes but it can cause dry eyes and that can long term be a problem.

Dr. Susan :

So Artificial tears if she feels irritation.

Customer:

Okay so Dad can quit panicking

Customer:

and just keep an EYE on it

Dr. Susan :

No panicking!! it looks worse than it is.

Dr. Susan :

yes an EYE!

Customer:

Okay - great, thank you so much this was really helpful.

Dr. Susan :

Thank you for the comic relief!

I hope that this has been helpful to you. Please press the ACCEPT button so that I can get credit for my efforts! You can always continue to ask question after accepting.

Dr. Susan, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Board Certified & Fellowship trained eye surgeon.