Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

can your eye sustain a scotoma (blank spot)from an eye pressure test during an eye exam. T

can your eye sustain a scotoma (blank spot)from an eye pressure test during an eye exam. The pressure seemed quite harsh during a recent test.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Was your pressure tested with the thing that puffs air or with the eydrop/yellow dye and blue light?

Dr. Rick :

Also, can you tell me the results of your fluorescein angiogram? Was this test and the OCT done in response to your scotoma?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are currently offline. We can switch to the Q&A system and continue to work on your question there. An email will be sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. See you there :o)

I'm looking forward to your reply so that we can continue to work on your question.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes with the thing that puffs air. OCT showed epi-retinal membrane with lamella hole.

with horizontal cleft in left eye. Fluorescein angiogram showed window changes only.

Scotoma only visible when reading. Amsler grid showed slight distortion in this left eye. Right eye is perfect -2.0 left eye -6.0. This blank spot only appeared after my recent eye test. Was informed it was not age related macular degeneration.

As a retina specialist I can say without a doubt that your eye pressure test, no matter how harsh it seemed, has nothing to do with your epiretinal membrane or lamellar hole.

The good news is that, if your vision is affected enough, surgery (vitrectomy, membrane peel, etc) can be done and, hopefully, your vision will be improved.

Does this make sense to you?

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.