Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

mother in law had lasik eye surgery,after a time sight was

mother in law had lasik eye surgery,after a time sight was not as good and she returned to see what could be done. that surgeon did not want to do any further corrective surgery, she is 80, he recommended glasses. she went elsewhere and had surgery done. she then contacted a bacterial infection in that eye. he initially put her on besivance and cefalozin q hr round the clock and she was seeing him qod. this started about 3 wks ago and he has been decreasing x's and amt of atb until now she is getting only cefalozin 4xdaily while awake. he originally told her she may lose the eye, at this point he states she is better but still not out of the woods. the inflammation is better but the eye is still very red and she is not able to see even shadows. i am not convinced this is aggressive enough tx. thoughts and suggestions please

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Did the doctor say that she had endophthalmitis?

Customer:

am not sure of dx

Dr. Rick :

Are you sure she had lasik surgery and not cataract surgery? If she had lasik I think she is the oldest person I've ever heard of having this operation....

Customer:

she had the surgery awhile ago and this last surgery was corrective to improve vision, she stated something about a flap and the dr only had to do a stitch, as i stated her original surgeon did not want to do anything, he recommended she wear glasses

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

Customer:

yes still here

Dr. Rick :

Ok. It sounds like she may have a severe external infection, perhaps a corneal ulcer of melting of the flap. If her vision is at the light perception level (sees only shadows) I think it would be an excellent idea to get a second opinion, perhaps from a corneal expert.

Customer:

do they go by a special name?

Dr. Rick :

The drops you posted are very good and are indicated for infections that don't actually get inside the eyeball itself.

Dr. Rick :

Yes. They are called corneal/external disease specialists. They are a sub-specialty of ophthalmology (eye MD)

Dr. Rick :

So it does sound like she is getting the correct treatment but I am concerned that her vision is so bad....

Customer:

how long does it usually take for something of this nature to clear, is this amount of time reasonable? this vision problem is only in the one eye

Dr. Rick :

It depends upon the bacteria involved, what damage is done to the eye etc. It is possible that, if she were to have a very severe corneal ulcer, that her vision may not return. This is also true if the infection were to get inside her eyeball.

Customer:

so would you recommend she see a corneal dr?

Dr. Rick :

Yes. I think a second opinion would be valuable if only to say that the right thing is being done. This way everyone would have more information on what the best course would be to try and get back her vision.

Customer:

would you know if we can just make an appointment or do we need a referral?

Dr. Rick :

you can just call and make an appointment since I'm sure your mother in law has medicare.

Customer:

yes she does thank you. but till we can get her in to see someone , you feel this course of tx is appropriate?

Dr. Rick :

yes. If it is a corneal infection the drops she is currently using are correct as is the frequency of use.

Customer:

ok thank you, XXXXX XXXXX it

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. I hope your mother in law gets better soon. Give her my best.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.