Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hi I have noticed a colour desaturation problem in one eye

Hi I have noticed a colour desaturation problem in one eye only when in low but not in dim lighting. The colours are about 5% darker or greyer in one eye but this is not apparent in normal or bright lighting or under very dark conditions but only low lighting. The eye specialist says the retinas/eyes appear fine and a brain scan is normal. It does appear most noticeable when lying down and the eye specialist suspects poor circulation?. The gel in the eyes separated from the retinas about 6 years ago causing floaters and lightning bolt flashes which was checked by the eye specialist at the time and these flashes have settled down and gone away over the years.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

Hello Dr

Customer:

sorry about the delay in replying to your chat

Oops! You hit the accept button too soon :)

Let's continue our discussion......I'm right here and won't go anywhere until you get the information you need.

First of all, the floaters (PVD) you had years ago has nothing to do with what is currently going on.
There are tests that can be done to evaluate the circulation in your eyes. A common one is called a fluorescein angiogram.

The changes you have noticed in your color perception can also be documented using a test called the Farnsworth Munsell 100 hue test. This can be done at all University teaching hospitals, at many sub specialists offices (neuro-ophthalmology etc) and some ophthalmology offices. A shortened version of the test, the FM 15 hue test is a good screening tool.

If you have not had these tests done already I would recommend them.

Does this make sense to you?