Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

i am experiencing a very irritated watery right eye the last

i am experiencing a very irritated watery right eye the last 24hrs worsened by light and accompanied by blurry vision. it feels better to close my eye, i woke up this morning a little better but it is starting to get irritated after being on the computer for a bit. there was no discharge this morning so i am thinking pink eye can be ruled out, my left eye is affected somewhat but to a much lesser degree. i am 51 and have redness and puffiness under my eyes as well as general swelling. i have just returned from hawaii so not sure if excessive sun exposure would be responsible. do i need to see a dr. (i am from canada and am visiting phoenix) or is there an otc med you can suggest. it is better than last night for sure but not sure if it will get worse as the day goes on. thanks!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Do you wear contact lenses?

Customer:

no

Dr. Rick :

And, no, excessive exposure to the sun -- even the wonderful sun that shines over the Hawaiian islands -- would not cause your symptoms :)

Customer:

ok

Dr. Rick :

The light sensitivity could mean that you have some inflammation inside your eyeball itself (anterior uveitis) or it could be from anterior segment/exterior disease.

Dr. Rick :

It would be best to be seen by an ophthalmologist just to be sure that nothing significant is going on. But, you could try cold compresses and frequent use of artificial tears (you can get these OTC almost anywhere) and see how things go.

Customer:

it seems to be really watery again with a bit of a grainy feeling

Dr. Rick :

If you eye continues to get worse, or if your vision is affected then have your eye looked at.

Customer:

k thanks

Dr. Rick :

It could also be an allergic reaction, since you are traveling

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest