Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hi, my dad is 55 and has been having problems with his eyes

Hi, my dad is 55 and has been having problems with his eyes for a couple of years now, he has been to several different ophthalmologists and no one has been able to tell him whats wrong, he just recently remembered that all his eye problems started after he was working on a microwave and it came on in his face and he did have numbness on one side his face. Do you know if there is any treatments for this or if there are any different test that be ran to find out if this is what has caused his eye problems? He has trouble distinguishing shapes and colors.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Does you father have a life-long history of problems telling colors apart, like blue/purple, green/brown, red/orange?

Dr. Rick :

Also, how much force did this microwave have when it fell down on his face? Were bones broken? Did he become unconscious? Did he need to go to the ER or the doctor? etc?

JACUSTOMER-pt6kq27f- :

no he doesen't have a history of it, it didn't fall on him, it came on and got direct radiation from the microwave

Dr. Rick :

What do you mean by the oven came out? Were the walls of the oven broken or was it sticking out from the wall?

Dr. Rick :

Oh....he had it apart working on it and the unit turned on.....Sorry for being so slow :)

Dr. Rick :

how long was the oven on for? Was his head all the way inside?

JACUSTOMER-pt6kq27f- :

yes, he said it lasted for about 15 to 20 seconds

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, there really is no way that this very minor and short exposure to microwave radiation hurt him at all.....I would not link any of his issues to this event.

JACUSTOMER-pt6kq27f- :

sooo i guess we need to just keep going to different doctors until we find someone who can help him?

Dr. Rick :

Perhaps it is time to think about going where there are a bunch of super sub-specialists all under one roof.

Dr. Rick :

At this point I think the best thing your father can do would be to gather up copies of all his medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that he could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

If you could tell me what large city your father lives near and how far it would be possible for him to travel in seeking treatment I would be happy to give you some names that you can pass along. Of course, he could also ask friends and associated or check the internet yourself. Let me know what you would like to do.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

JACUSTOMER-pt6kq27f- :

yea that was going to be my last option, we live in alabama and the closest big city is birmingham where UAB is, we have already been there and have seen a specialist that is suppose to be the best in the field. We have asked friends and have been to the doctors that they have recommened and still no answers. Some more names would be greatly appreciated

Dr. Rick :

How far can your Dad travel? Can he go to Rochester Mn?

JACUSTOMER-pt6kq27f- :

maybe, i will check with him to see if that is something that he wants to do, im sure he can its whether or not he wants to.

Dr. Rick :

I understand exactly what you mean -- after dealing with my 78 year old father :(

Dr. Rick :

Well, I think he would do well to gather up his medical records and head to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester. I've actually traveled there myself as a patient for a long-distance consultation and exam....they do a great job, bunch up multiple specialty consults on the same day of adjacent days etc. I was incorrectly diagnosed and, in 3 days, they set things straight.

Dr. Rick :

In your dad's case I think he might want to start in the Neurology department and then go the ophthalmologist

Dr. Rick :

And they treat everyone like that....I didn't get anything special because I was an MD

JACUSTOMER-pt6kq27f- :

yea they seem to have a good reputation, and I said if we could not find any answers around here that was going to be the next step, so I guess I need to get ready to try and take that step lol

Dr. Rick :

Sounds like a plan :) I wish you the best of luck and hope your Father gets things sorted out soon so he can feel better.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else I can do for you this evening?

JACUSTOMER-pt6kq27f- :

Nope, I guess that's it, What you recommended is going to be my best bet

Dr. Rick :

Mayo Clinic is really the best bet if you are going to have to travel for treatment anyway. Maybe your Dad will be more willing due to their world renowned reputation.

Dr. Rick :

Also, if the visual issues are not impacting his life that much, just watch things. If it is something serious, and I hate to say this but, it will get worse when left untreated.

JACUSTOMER-pt6kq27f- :

They are, its has been getting worse over time, he just recently stopped working because he is uncomfortable working on something so important and not able to see clearly, he dont drive any where that he is not familar with because he has such a hard time seeing, he wears glasses and it helps a little to see things a little clearer but not much

Dr. Rick :

It sound like you need to tie him up, load him in the car and Drive NW.......if it is getting worse it needs to be aggressively worked up -- he is too young to continue to allow his vision to be affected this way.

Dr. Rick :

But, what can you do? He's an adult.....Being a Good Son is tough....at least that is what I tell my parents all the time lol!

JACUSTOMER-pt6kq27f- :

lol I know I hate seeing him like this and not be able to do the things he loves, looks like we are going to have a long talk tomorrow lol

Dr. Rick :

Good luck with that :)

JACUSTOMER-pt6kq27f- :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX you for all your suggestions

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good evening.

Dr. Rick :

If you have a chance drop me a note on this thread or at the link below and let me know how things turn out.