Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My son has worn contacts for years= from 16 to 29 years of

Customer Question

My son has worn contacts for years= from 16 to 29 years of age. He
s developed a bloodshot corner in one of his eyes. Optometrist told him he had dry eyes and gave him eye drops. Hasn't gone away for 6 weeks. Has subsequently seen tow opthamologists. One who said he'd developed an allergy to contacts, and a second who recommended the Prk type of lasik, saying nothing wrong with eye. Yet eye remains bloodshot.
Answer, suggestions or recommendations for top physisian in Palm Beach, Fl area is?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

sounds like one of the ophthalmologists is trying to increase his PRK surgery schedule

Dr. Rick :

Allergies/issues with contacts is very possible........

Dr. Rick :

My mother lives in West Palm Beach and she has been using Dr. Shugarman for many years and is very happy with him and his staff.

Dr. Rick :

Here is his address and phone number:

Dr. Rick : Shugarman Richard G MD FACS

• (561)(NNN) NNN-NNNN/li>

2000 Palm Beach Lakes Blvd, West Palm Beach, FL 33409

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

agreed, but he says eye is fine, nothing wrong with it. first opthamologist said an allergy to his contacts but even without wearing them for six weeks bloodshot look continues unabated. Is Shugerman an MD or an OD

Dr. Rick :

MD. He did both of my mothers cataracts....even though he knew that I am a retina specialist and would closely check his work lol!

Dr. Rick :

The chat system seems to be a little bit slow....I just now got your post.

Dr. Rick :

Whatever is going on with your son I believe he will get an excellent exam by Dr. Shugarman and be quickly started on the correct path to getting thing better.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

optometrist first consulted said dry eyes, drops didn't improve. First opthamalogist who said allergies gave drops, no improvement,second one said nothing wrong with eye, wants to do pkr

Dr. Rick :

Forget the plan to do PRK.......not even sure why an eye doc would recommend such a thing for your son's symptoms.....

Customer:

three dr's, 6 weeks, $600. and no results

Dr. Rick :

Sorry to hear about that......

Customer:

son is single, attorney, in court, appearance important, wearing glasses now for 6 weeks with an eye with corner completely bloodshot

Dr. Rick :

My mom swears by Dr. Shugarman....been going to him for years. I just got off the phone with her.....

Dr. Rick :

It could be that he has a pinguecula or an area of episcleritis/scleritis...... Hard to tell without having a look at him and having more information.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense?

Customer:

I'll ask him if this is same guy - Shugerman-he's seen, give me 20 seconds. Is this guy's office in Forum Place off of Palm lakes Blvd. Evan went to the second guy- in his office building off of same street

Dr. Rick :

Not sure....I've never been to his office and only know the area superficially.

Dr. Rick :

ok

Customer:

Cant reach him but may have been one of two or at least in their medical "group" he's seen- his office is right there

Dr. Rick :

ok. Let me call my mom and see if she can recommend a second MD just in case your son has already seen this one....brb

Customer:

pinguecula or an area of episcleritis/scleritis- how is this treated

Dr. Rick :

pinguecula is treated with surgical excision or, to just calm it down, tear drops, antibiotics or steroid drops depending.....

Dr. Rick :

episcleritis is treated with tear drops and NSAID (ibuprofen etc)

Dr. Rick :

Scleritis is treated a lot of different ways depending on severity, cause, vision changes etc.

Customer:

tried three kinds of drops to the present

Dr. Rick :

My mom said her best friend and husband go to:

Dr. Rick : Guildford, James H MD PA

• (561)(NNN) NNN-NNNN/li>

1500 N Dixie Hwy, West Palm Beach, FL 33401

Customer:

what would you do if this was your son?

Dr. Rick :

And, while she doesn't personally know this doc her friend and husband like him

Dr. Rick :

I would examine him myself lol!

Customer:

Im retired attorney, not able to do same. So is what I'm hearin g you say, get a fourth exam?

Dr. Rick :

Both of these ophthalmologists come highly recommended by people in their mid 70's....and, if you knew just how picky my mother can be, you would feel comfortable letting your son be treated by either of them. Fortunately I have a reliable contact just in the area you are looking for an ophthalmologist, since I am in Wisconsin. Yes. I think it is time for, yet another, examination and opinion.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.