Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My daughter is 14. She has been bothered lately by allergies,

My daughter is 14. She has been bothered lately by allergies, which is normal for her, on Zyrtec...anyway she recently had an eye exam at Wal - Mart and received her new contacts and glasses. They seemed a little strong she said but not too bad. My question is recently she said she sometimes blurs her eyes and she thinks they take too long to focus back (keep in mind she is a sever hypochondriac)and she is doing this on purpose for some reason. Her eyes aren't just blurring on their own. Now she says they feel almost like they want to cross. I guess my questions is, is this allergy related, do I need to take her back to Wal-Mart. She is really concerned and I don't want to seem like I'm not concerned but I do know how she worries about everything.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

This does not seem to be related to her allergies.

Customer:

What do you think it is?

Dr. Rick :

I do suggest that, rather then taking her back to the optometrist at WalMart, you take her to an ophthalmologist for a complete exam and possible re-fitting of her contacts.

Customer:

OK, do you think it is anything to worry about? I do know that they did a fully dialted exam at Wal Mart and everything was fine. this was about 2 months ago

Dr. Rick :

It may be that she has poor tear film, possibly related to her allergies or perhaps her contact lens Rx is off a little bit or the lens fit could be better....it is hard to tell exactly what is going on, especially given her history of being sensitive to these types of things

Dr. Rick :

I do not believe it is anything to worry about. As, it is my opinion that an optometrist isn't trained well enough to know what he is looking at when he dilates an eye....although I

Dr. Rick :

I'd bet your daughters retina etc is healthy.

Customer:

OK, I do have another opthalmolgist to go to, I just went to Wal Mart because of price. I never know when she's complaining if it's anything or just in her head. Like I said, she is a severe hypochondriac LOL

Dr. Rick :

After living thought 3 daughters and two sons I know exactly what you mean lol!

Customer:

I would say you do!! LOL I have 3 daughters and 2 of them are like this!! Uggh LOL I will take her to the other Dr then. She is texting me now wanting to know what I found out LOL Can I tell her it's nothing to worry about?? She's been on WebMD, (which I have forbidden her to get on) and she's convinced herself she has a brain tumor!!

Dr. Rick :

Tell her it is a brain tumor and she most likely wont' make it through the day.....just to mess with her :o).

Customer:

OH Lord!!! LOL then she will have a heart attack!!!! LMAO

Dr. Rick :

But, in all reality, once she is done freaking out you can tell her you were just kidding and she will be fine and has nothing to worry about ;)

Dr. Rick :

It is so fun to mess with our kids....although I find it almost too easy since I know 'em so well.....

Customer:

LOL true!!!! I'm gonna tell her it's just her contacts may not be fitting well and schedule her an appt. then. Thanks so much!!!!

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a great day.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

You too!

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.