Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I had my right retina reattached seven months ago (it detached

I had my right retina reattached seven months ago (it detached suddenly) with significant vision loss (20/200). Even after repair my vision is only 20/100 at best. The retina surgeon said the operation was "successful", everything reattached. I had a cataract in that eye too. A distance lens was implanted about three months ago. That went according to plan too and the vision improved slightly but never got better than 20/80. Now it's getting worse. I'm told I have the after cataract, or POC. Not a huge amount yet, but "some cells". I want the Dr. to do the YAG laser to increase my vision. She says it's too soon after the cataract operation. Is she right ? Do I have to, or should I wait, until the right eye gets all blurry again to do it ? And how long should I wait ?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

okay

Dr. Rick :

How long ago did you have the cataract surgery?

Customer:

December 1, 2012

Dr. Rick :

In the majority of cases eye surgeons like to wait at least 90 days after surgery before doing the yag laser capsulotomy. Why? Well, it is a good idea to allow the lens to become scarred down well between the flaps of the anterior and posterior capsule and, also, because most insurance companies will not pay for the Yag treatment until the 91st day after surgery.

Dr. Rick :

So, as far as the insurance company is concerned you should be "able" to have YAG capsulotomy to your cloudy posterior capsule on March 2, 2012.

Dr. Rick :

Medically speaking your lens is most likely stable enough for it to be safe to do a yag posterior capsulotomy today.

Dr. Rick :

You know how the saying goes: "He who has the Gold makes the Rules" And this is something that insurance companies live by.....

Customer:

Interesting. Someone else suggested it might be the insurance, and I see there's a medical reason too. Will it lead to increased vision or is that another question ?

Dr. Rick :

Don't worry.....I don't mind answering all the questions you may have....

Dr. Rick :

Cutting the cloudy capsule should return your vision to at least the point where it was at it's best after cataract surgery. Also, waiting to have the capsule lasered will not make any difference at all in your final visual outcome..what I mean is waiting will not hurt anything in the long run

Customer:

That's what I've gleaned from other information on the internet. I really was not unpleased with my sight right after the cataract operation, but have felt that it's diminished since. (I'm pleased with this service). One more question, sometimes the eye "hurts" for a few hours, and then that goes away on its own for a few days. I assume that's normal settling down ?, and I'll ask the Dr. tomorrow.

Dr. Rick :

Yes. That brief instances of pain are really nothing to worry about. If you had a scleral buckle placed during your retinal detachment repair this might be the source. Also, it can be from mild dry eyes. In any event I don't think it is anything to worry about, especially since you will see your surgeon tomorrow.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Yes, it's been a horrendous last six months for me. But on the plus side, everything has gone according to plan. And I can see well enough to type and drive. You've answered the question. Do I just hit accept now ?

Dr. Rick :

yes.....You can just hit the accept if you are happy with my service. Have a great day.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.