Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have just been diagnosed with glaucoma. I am interested in

I have just been diagnosed with glaucoma. I am interested in homeopathic solutions. My reflexologist supplied me with a potion made from mesquite. The original appears to have a "mother" in it, and she gave me liquid from this potion to put in my eyes. She had used it for cataract treatment with good results.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Was it an ophthalmologist or an optometrist who diagnosed you with glaucoma?

Dr. Rick :

Do you know what your eye pressures were (IOP), how your optic nerve looked (cup to disk ratio etc) and how your baseline visual field results looked (Humphrey 30-2 etc)?

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I am still here and looking forward to your responses to my questions so I can better answer your question.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I see that you have reviewed my above posts. If you did respond to my questions it did not post correctly. Could you please answer again? Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My eye doctor is in optometry.
I don't have any of the measurements you asked about.
I do have copies of single field analysis of each eye which show the areas where the sight has been lost. they show "fixation losses" of 2/12 on right eye and 3/12 on left eye. Should I call doctor and ask for the information you mentioned above?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Thanks for that information. I, personally, do not believe that optometrists are well enough trained to diagnose -- let alone treat -- glaucoma. In reviewing the traditional medical drops you have been given the pred drops (a steroid) are not something that normally is used in this disease process. As a matter of fact it can make glaucoma much worse in some patients. Xalatan, however, is a very good glaucoma medication with no known systemic side effects, kinda sounds homeopathic, eh?

Before you accept that you actually have glaucoma I strongly recommend you have a complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist. If your examination and baseline testing is consistent with this diagnosis then you can be assured that you are in the best hands for treating you for this potentially blinding disease that, in the majority of cases has no pain and no signs of danger until you have pretty much irreversibly lost your vision -- sometimes to the point where you are blind. With early diagnosis and proper treatment vision loss can, in most cases, be prevented.

Now. As to your question......

There are no homeopathic solutions, not even ones with Mother in them, that have been shown in anyway to effectively treat glaucoma. Every day that you decide to trust your vision to these drops, medicines and treatments is another day that you can loose vision to your glaucoma -- and this lost vision can NEVER be regained.

What would be the outcome of years of using these homeopathic glaucoma treatments? Irreversible blindness.

I strongly recommend that you be examined by an ophthalmologist in the near future and use the traditional glaucoma medicines that she recommends....

Does this make sense to you?

Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the green accept button so that I receive credit for my time.

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest