Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

mother couldnt see anything at all

Customer Question

hi my mother couldn't see anything at all for at least 2-3minutes and when she started to rub her eyes her vision then came back.Is there any reason or explaination that you can give me? and what should she do now? she does suffer from high blood pressure,and has asthma if that helps.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

does she have any medical problems or take any medicines?

Dr. Rick :

What was she doing when her vision went away? Also, was it in both eyes at once? Could she see anything or was she lights-out blind?

Dr. Rick :

Did she have any other symptoms at the time? How about afterwards?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
I am still here and looking forward to your response so that we can continue to work on your question.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
she is on blood pressure tablets (avapro) we were doing craft for my sisters wedding,i wasn't at home when it happened but she said that all of a sudden she couldn't see and she was waving her hands in front of her face but she couldn't see anything not even the surroundings so she started to rub her eyes and after a while her sight came back,she said she didn't feel funny or strange in any way and she said she feels fine now
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
This could be a sign of a vascular problem in the brain. It is important for your mother to be seen by a physician ASAP for a workup and evaluation. She should see an internal medicine MD first and then, if necessary, an ophthalmologist.

Does this make sense to you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i'll get her to go and see her doctor.

thank you for your advice i will keep in touch with you and let you know the progress.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
It is my pleasure to help. I look forward to hearing from you.