Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

My Bulldog has a corneal ulcer. She is 5 years old. She was

Customer Question

My Bulldog has a corneal ulcer. She is 5 years old. She was taken into the vet as she appeared to have a sore eye as she was closing it and her 3rd eyelid was closing up slightly. The vet could not see any trauma to the eye but prescribed an antibiotic ointment and oral cortizone as a precaution. 5 days later i saw a blurred spot on her eye and took her bak to the vet where she then was diagnosed as having a corneal ulcer. The vet then prescribed an antibiotic drop. Upon check up 3 days later she was doing okay, no change and was just closing her eye periodically when at a rest state. The next day (day 8 and 9 now) she is closing her eye 80% of the time. The ulcer does not appear to have changed. i do however see that her eyeball itself looks a bit swollen and her 3rd eye lid is lifting up constantly. I have a vet appoint tomorrow but concerned that we may be on the wrong track re diagnosis. Any feedback or conditions we should explore?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I am a human eye surgeon and feel comfortable helping your with this issue. That being said, if you would rather speak to a dog vet. let me know and I can send your question to a general vet....

Customer:

I would appreciate hearing from you thanks.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. What drops is your dog on right now? Also, would you say that she is acting like here eye hurts more or less then it did a few days ago?

Customer:

Torbex (tobramycin) - Opthalmic Solution .3% (anitbiotic)

Customer:

She is acting like it hurts more as she is closing her eye 80% more than prior.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. First of all I think that, from what you have told me, that the diagnosis is correct. I do not believe, however, that the tobramycin is killing off the infection like it should.

Customer:

My vet was confident that the drops would work. I welcome your perspective.

Dr. Rick :

I suggest changing antibiotic drops to a stronger, broad spectrum agent such as gatifloxacin (Zymar) or a similar drug in the same class ( Vigamox, Quixin).

Dr. Rick :

This should be given very frequently for the next 24-48 hours....every hour if possible. At night I know this would be difficult so a combination of two ointments, such as ciprofloxacin and gentamicin ointment can be used. Just fill the eye up -- make it real goopy -- with a line of each drug.

Dr. Rick :

This will give good coverage and should get things healing up.

Dr. Rick :

Tobramycin doesn't cover some of the common bacteria that could be causing the infection. The above drugs covers almost all of them....of course, if it is a fungus, a whole different set of meds is required and a cure is very difficult. The good new? Fungal corneal ulcers are much less common then bacterial ones.

Customer:

My vet appoint is not until tomorrow at 4 p.m. - should i insist then on arriving earlier so we can get her looked at and new medicine (i think this is what i need to do). will she be okay tonight or should i call him after hours?

Dr. Rick :

At this point I don't think there is much to be gained by getting the vet up in the evening. It may be hard to get these drops/ointments if the pharmacies are closed etc. Since it has been going on this long I don't think much will be lost by waiting until the morning....

Dr. Rick :

That being said, I think it is a good idea to move the appt up to early morning.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Okay thanks so much; I will call in the am then. I will give her the drops we have now more frequently (so far only every 2 hours - will bump that up to every hour?)?

Dr. Rick :

Regular doctors, vets included, are not really that comfortable treating serious eye infections....but that is what I spent 14 years in school after high school learning to do...and I do it all the time. :P

Dr. Rick :

:)

Dr. Rick :

It might help some as it may get the tissue concentrations up a little higher in her eye....but it is probably not worth the effort as the bug seems to be resistant to tobramycin.

Customer:

So we need people like you! I get very anxious when my bulldogs have health issues. But, generally i have good reason to be anxious.

Dr. Rick :

But it won't hurt if you want to do it....

Dr. Rick :

My family has 5 cats and 3 dogs -- all rescue beasts, so I know what you mean.

Customer:

Thanks so much for your help. I feel more confident and that offers some relief. Have a good night. :)

Dr. Rick :

You too. Give your dog a hug for me.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
So. What, if I may ask, did the vet have to say this morning?