Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
I am a human eye surgeon and feel comfortable helping your with this issue. That being said, if you would rather speak to a dog vet. let me know and I can send your question to a general vet....
I would appreciate hearing from you thanks.
Ok. What drops is your dog on right now? Also, would you say that she is acting like here eye hurts more or less then it did a few days ago?
Torbex (tobramycin) - Opthalmic Solution .3% (anitbiotic)
She is acting like it hurts more as she is closing her eye 80% more than prior.
Ok. First of all I think that, from what you have told me, that the diagnosis is correct. I do not believe, however, that the tobramycin is killing off the infection like it should.
My vet was confident that the drops would work. I welcome your perspective.
I suggest changing antibiotic drops to a stronger, broad spectrum agent such as gatifloxacin (Zymar) or a similar drug in the same class ( Vigamox, Quixin).
This should be given very frequently for the next 24-48 hours....every hour if possible. At night I know this would be difficult so a combination of two ointments, such as ciprofloxacin and gentamicin ointment can be used. Just fill the eye up -- make it real goopy -- with a line of each drug.
This will give good coverage and should get things healing up.
Tobramycin doesn't cover some of the common bacteria that could be causing the infection. The above drugs covers almost all of them....of course, if it is a fungus, a whole different set of meds is required and a cure is very difficult. The good new? Fungal corneal ulcers are much less common then bacterial ones.
My vet appoint is not until tomorrow at 4 p.m. - should i insist then on arriving earlier so we can get her looked at and new medicine (i think this is what i need to do). will she be okay tonight or should i call him after hours?
At this point I don't think there is much to be gained by getting the vet up in the evening. It may be hard to get these drops/ointments if the pharmacies are closed etc. Since it has been going on this long I don't think much will be lost by waiting until the morning....
That being said, I think it is a good idea to move the appt up to early morning.
Does this make sense to you?
Okay thanks so much; I will call in the am then. I will give her the drops we have now more frequently (so far only every 2 hours - will bump that up to every hour?)?
Regular doctors, vets included, are not really that comfortable treating serious eye infections....but that is what I spent 14 years in school after high school learning to do...and I do it all the time. :P
It might help some as it may get the tissue concentrations up a little higher in her eye....but it is probably not worth the effort as the bug seems to be resistant to tobramycin.
So we need people like you! I get very anxious when my bulldogs have health issues. But, generally i have good reason to be anxious.
But it won't hurt if you want to do it....
My family has 5 cats and 3 dogs -- all rescue beasts, so I know what you mean.
Thanks so much for your help. I feel more confident and that offers some relief. Have a good night. :)
You too. Give your dog a hug for me.
And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much. Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.