Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Had bilateral pinquecula eye surgery on January 30th. Putting

Had bilateral pinquecula eye surgery on January 30th. Putting Lotomax eye drops in 3 times a day. I had two pinqueculas on each eye. I am near sighted and wear glasses. It seems like things get real blury at times. I am real concerned about this. Will this get better once my eyes heal?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I think you should start using some artificial tears 4x/day and as needed. Don't use these drops within 5 minutes of putting in your lotomax drops.

Dr. Rick :

It is not unusual for this to occur after pinguecula surgery, especially when there were two of them in each eye.

Dr. Rick :

And, yes....this should get better as things continue to heal.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Welcome to chat.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Yes, it does. How long does your eyes to heal following this surgery?

Dr. Rick :

It depends on what type of surgery your doctor did....there are many variations on pterygium surgery ranging from "bare sclera" to conjunctival autografts, use of mitomycin-C etc. But usually by 30 days things are well healed.

Dr. Rick :

Some patients, however, have persistent dry eye issues etc......

Customer:

He used auto grafts. It also feels like something is in my eye?

Dr. Rick :

That is nothing to worry about. It is most likely from the stitches he put in. I'm sure he used the kind that dissolve by themselves....

Customer:

He used amniotic fluid to glue it back.

Dr. Rick :

Then the sensation you are feeling could be coming from the area of the surgery itself, or an edge of the graft, or maybe a dry spot on your cornea. Try the natural tears and if the foreign body sensation persists give your surgeon a call and let her know about it.

Customer:

I have also been getting headaches. It may be because I have been so upset over all this. My main concern is that I hope my eyes will heal back completely and get back to normal soon. I was just worried about the eyes getting blury and not focussing some. Just wanted to know if this will get better once my eyes heal. Just wanted to know if this is real common and if they will get back to normal.

Dr. Rick :

I think you just need to start using the optive every 3 hours and also more often when you feel that your eye is irritated or blurry. Optive is a good artificial tear, although there are less expensive brand names available that work just as well.

Dr. Rick :

Yes. It is common. Does it happen to everyone? Nope. Since you have had grafts placed your will hopefully have less of a chance of your pterygiums growing back and less of a problem with dry eyes.

Dr. Rick :

I think that, in the long run, your eyes will be fine. It really is too early to start worrying that your eyes won't get back to their normal baseline -- just relax and give things time to heal.

Customer:

Thank you so much for all your help. It has been great talking to you. You have been a lot of help to me.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. I hope everything works out well for you and those beasts don't grow back :)

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.