Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

When I am driving on the freeway or any open road I lose the ability to focus. My site acu

Customer Question

When I am driving on the freeway or any open road I lose the ability to focus. My site acutally goes away unless I shake my head, adjust my postion in the seat, look down at the instuments. this only helps for a very short time and the focus again goes away and my eyes want to shut. As soon as I get in the city or where I am going it stops and I can see fine. This also happens if I am reading and only takes about three pages and the same thing happens. This is not just blurry vision, I actually cannot see and my eyes want to close. It does not happen in town or on short trips, only on the open road when my focus is at a distance. I saw an eye doc and my vision with glasses is 20/20 rt eye, 20/15 left. No other obvious signs of eye problems
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Well, first of all -- of course -- you best stop driving.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are getting excellent care and a good workup.

Dr. Rick :

What is your question for me?

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I see you have reviewed my posts. I am not sure what question you would like to ask as your post only gives information.

I am still here if you would like to discuss things with me.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not driving is not an option and like I said this only happens on the freeway or the open road, not in the city. My wife does not drive due to her chronic pain medications. I don't know how to explain this so people understand what happens. It is like when your are tired driving and falling asleep. That is only one part and that is after the focus goes away, my eyes want to close. It is like the focus at a distance when driving begins to blurr, then it begins to rather rapidly just become non-existence and then my eyes want to close. I am not tired, it does not matter what time of day it is or if it is at night. It is when I am driving and it seems like I am focusing down the road, not at something close, except for reading. Right now my vision is a little blurry but nothing that affects my reading and writing either long or short distance. If I were to get on the freeway or any other open road without the buildings, other cars, and visual distractions with city driving, it would take between 5 and 15 minutes for this to begin. It then continues until I stop and/or arrive at my desitnation. If I read then, like when I take my wife to her medical appointments, it takes about two to three pages for it to return and I have to again change the position (distance) of the book, change my postion but that is only short term solution. If I read without the visual distortion already having taken place, I can read util my eyes get tired and I simply quit for the night, or give it a rest and do something else for a time period. Then I can go back reading until my eyes again get tired. The problems with reading are only there if the focus issue has already been there such as driving from here to Portland (150 mi). I don't want to go blind before I retire which I can in April of this year and I can draw my SS in November this year. Any ideas what might be causing this.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry, but in my opinion, with the symptoms you are having, you MUST NOT drive.....no matter how inconvenient it is for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
you have told me nothing I didn't already know.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Sorry about that. In my defense you do not have a condition that can really be diagnosed with a brief chat session. As a caregiver yourself I am sure you understand that.

I can, however,help you to better understand the information that you get from your doctors and tell you more about what your test results mean.....