Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

For Optomatrist. My 12 year old daughter got an eye and contact

For Optomatrist. My 12 year old daughter got an eye and contact exam. Her prescription is: Right eye -0.25,PD 59/28.5. Left eye -1.50, Cyl is -0.50, Axis 145, PD 30.5. They gave her a trial pair of contact (Freshlook, clear) for a week. She has a terrible time getting them in. They were huge. She could get in the left eye, but it was really hard getting in the right eye. Then we went back. The Dr. wouldn't let me in the room. I asked if the asst. could ask him about a smaller diameter. The first appt. they told me she was near-sighted. They NEVER told me anything about astigmatism. I had to find that out from a walmart asst. last night when buying some lense cleaner. The dr. changed her to a 13.8 diameter and they said they only had a trial for the left eye only. They said she only needed one for the left eye anyway. Now, my question is, If the larger contact is for astigmatism and the smaller one isn't, when they changed the diameter, are they putting her in a regular contact lense and not one for astigmatism? Should she have the left eye contact for astigmatism and the right eye for regular? They have a slight tint and she has hazel eyes so now one eye is a different color than the other and she is in 6th grade. This really bothers her. They wouldn't even let me talk to the doctor about this? What are your thoughts on this, besides the obvious, that I need to take her somewhere else?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

can you see the question

Dr. Rick :

yes.....I'm reading it carefully right now.....brb

Dr. Rick :

That is a good question. Actually, I agree with the doc. She really only needs contacts for her left eye.

Dr. Rick :

Also, with her low amount of astigmatism she doesn't need a "special" lens for astigmatism (toric contact) .....the "regular (spherical) contact will take care of her astigmatism due to the mechanics of how contact lenses work.

Customer:

But how do I know if they gave her the right kind of contact for her eye?

Customer:

oh, you answered that

Customer:

But she is upset about having 2 different colored eyes. What do I do about that? This age, kids are so cruel.

Dr. Rick :

I don't think she needs a lens in the right eye at all.....this is, of course, assuming that she had a very good refraction -- sometimes it is helpful to do a wet as well as a dry refraction in kids --- and her vision is OK in each eye with her best manifest refraction in place.

Customer:

what is manifest refreaction?

Dr. Rick :

I didn't see the part about her eyes being different colored. Are you saying that her natural eye color is different in each eye or that she is using contacts to change her eye color?

Dr. Rick :

that is where the doc says "which is better, one or two"

Customer:

Her eyes are light brown with green in them. She is not using colored contacts. The tint in the clear contact, changed her eye color to more green-blue and now she looks like she has hzel /green eyes and right eye brown.

Dr. Rick :

Also, just from what you are telling me about how you are being treated I think you should dump this doctor and go see an ophthalmologist where your daughter will, hopefully, be treated better.

Dr. Rick :

Most all lenses come with a "handling" tint so you can see them in the case etc. Usually this (at least it's not supposed to) doesn't significantly affect eye color. However, after living through 3 teenage daughters I know that "significantly change eye color" can be a subjective statement lol!

Customer:

They also told me she couldn't get dailies in that smaller diameter and walmart said differently. Any ides on that?

Dr. Rick :

I think you need to take your business elsewhere. Dailies are available in a large number of diameters and, perhaps, that clinic just doesn't carry them for whatever reason.

Customer:

They wouldn't give me her contact prescription until she did another trial this week and then they wanted me to call so THEY could order it and not give me the RX. How can I make them give me the RX?

Dr. Rick :

In many states you can't.

Customer:

So, you thin I just just have her eye exam redone and get the RX from them?

Dr. Rick :

Yes. Go to an ophthalmologist. Tell this new doctor about your bad experience at the other clinic and see is she is willing to treat you better. If so then have your daughter re-examined.

Customer:

Thank you for your time. You've given me some helpful advice. What did the manifest refraction mean?

Dr. Rick :

That is the medical term for the test for an eyeglass prescription. It is where that big thing with dials (phoropter) is placed in front of your face and, while you look at the eye chart, the doc turns the knobs, making things blurry and clear and keeps asking you "Which one is better? One or two? Three or four?" Etc.

Dr. Rick :

I bet you have had this done to you in your lifetime....

Customer:

only once. NO one in our family has ever had contacts or anything like that. That's why I don't know anything.

Dr. Rick :

Having a teenager will help you to learn fast :)

Customer:

Okay, I think I'm done with all my questions. Thank you so very much for your help. You've been great!

Customer:

LOL

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good day.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.