Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

For the first time I have had internal bleeding in my right

For the first time I have had internal bleeding in my right eye. It appears to be dissipating and has no apparent affect to my vision. Should I seek immediate medical attention or wait to see what, if anything, happens?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Can you tell me a little bit more about what you are experiencing that makes you believe you are bleeding inside your eye?

Dr. Rick :

How old are you? Do you have any medical problems? What medicines do you take? How is your vision in the affected eye?

Customer:

I have a large amount of what appears to be blood on the left side of my right eye which extend to just below the iris. The blood appears to be pooled just below the iris.

Customer:

I am 72 , have no medical problems and take no medications. Last eye exam was in December with no problems indicated. No loss of vision in any direction and no pain

Dr. Rick :

Ok. What you are experiencing is caled a subconjunctival hemorrhage

Dr. Rick :

In the vast majority of cases, sub conjunctival hemorrhage is nothing to worry about. It is usually not a sign of any serious condition but rather is just a small broken blood vessel in the conjunctiva that looks much worse than it really is.

No treatment is necessary. Think of a subconjunctival hemorrhage as a bruise. The reason it looks so red (some people say it looks like a piece of raw meat) is that the skin on your eye is very thin so the underlying blood shows through easily. On your arm, for instance, a bruise looks blue/purple because the overlying skin is thick, blocking the red color of the blood.

Like a bruise elsewhere a subconjunctival hemorrhage will slowly go away over the course of a couple of weeks. It may spread around the globe some and change colors as it clears. This is nothing to be concerned about.

Dr. Rick :

This is actually on the outside of your eyeball and is not an emergency.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.