Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I need to seek your opinion on my medical status. Born 1963,

I need to seek your opinion on my medical status.

Born 1963, I had high myopia (around -6 degrees in both eyes). In 2000, I made a lasik operation for both eyes. Recently, i had serious problems with my both eyes described below:
Left eye
---------
Nov. 2010, Cataract.
Jan. 2011, giant retinal tear + double retinal folding and PVR. Vitrectomy, endo laser silicone.
Feb. 2011, removal of silicone oil bubble anterior chamber.
Dec. 2011, removal of silicone oil and peeling of epiretinal membrane.
Jan. 2012, recurrence of posterior pole detachment. Re-operation and silicone oil.

Right eye
-----------
Sep. 2011, giant retinal tear. Trial of laser retinopexy. Extension of detachment. Need for surgery.
Oct. 2011, Vitrectomy + Cataract + Endolaser Silicone oil.
Retina attached.
Silicone removal planned after 6 months.

Kindly give your medical opinion on my case. Currently, my left eye sight is below average. Right eye is much better. Wear glasses +4 in both eyes.

Do you recommend a particular retina care center. My doctor told me that he did the best that he can, and in Europe or USA they would have done the same.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

You are very lucky to have any useful vision at all at this point.......

Customer: Hi Dr Rick
Dr. Rick :

As a retina specialist, based on what you have posted, I agree with your doctors. I would not have done anything different in treating your retinal issues. It sounds like you got state of the art care.

Customer: There is no other treatment to do
Customer: I currently have silicone in both eyes
Customer: My right eye has better sight
Dr. Rick :

No. Not at this time. Also, based on your history you will have to be watched very closely after removal of the silicone oil. Sometimes I leave it in for an extended time.

Customer: My doctor agrees with your opinion,
Customer: He assured that things should get better over time, if things went well
Dr. Rick :

perflourocarbons are used many times in giant retinal tear repairs...I would expect it was used in your case at one point or another.....that being said, it is nothing to worry about.

Customer: What worried me is that the left eye made a detachment after removal of silicon oil
Dr. Rick :

The fact that you have such good vision after all the surgeries your eyes have been through, the retinal detachments and having an eye full of oil I would tend to agree -- you have a much better chance then the average patient who has gone through what you have -- to end up with useful vision.

Dr. Rick :

Yes. That is a known risk, but you can't leave the silicone oil in forever as it has some toxicity to the photoreceptors.

Customer: So what would be the solution?
Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are in the hands of a very well trained, highly skilled retinal surgeon.

Dr. Rick :

Watch very, very closely for a redetachment when you take out the oil.....and cross your fingers.

Customer: The problem is that we had a delay to intervene and repair the detachment in the left eye (delay of 4 - 5 days)
Dr. Rick :

I have been practicing retina for almost two decades and have done a stint as a teacher in a retina department at a Ophthalmology program....and everything you are telling me makes perfect sense.

Customer: This was not the case for the right eye
Customer: As a result, sight is much better in the right eye
Dr. Rick :

It is always best to repair a detachment as quickly as possible, however, if the macula is already detached a delay of a few days doesn't seem to make that big of a deal in final visual outcome. You, however, have a lot of other things going on then just that one detachment so I wouldn't kick yourself over that one....

Customer: Do you think the right eye would experience the same risk
Dr. Rick :

It does seem that both your eyes were at high risk for retinal issues. Hopefully you are now "over the hump" and things will only get better. I do not see the need for you to jump to another surgeon -- the care you are getting makes perfect sense to me and your outcome has been way above average.....

Customer: Lost control of the conversation!!!
Dr. Rick :

I have a very colleague, a retina surgeon, who came to the USA from Beruit in the 80's. He is a top notch retina surgeon so I am not surprised that you are getting good care in Lebanon.

Customer: Are you still on?
Dr. Rick :

Yes. Your right eye is at risk for a re detachment when the oil is removed.

Dr. Rick :

Yes. I am still here. Can you see my posts?

Customer: I can't read you... I am on the top of the chatting page and can't go to the bottom to see recent messages
Dr. Rick :

Ok. I will switch to Q&A

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I'm here.....can you see this post?