Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

When I look straight ahead, its as though the top part of my

When I look straight ahead, its as though the top part of my eyes are a cloudy. The main focus and lower is not effected but the top is. What could it be?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

How long has this been going on?

Dr. Rick :

Just so I understand: When you look out a the world, with your best glasses in place, with both eyes open, the top half of your visual field is cloudy. Is this correct?

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any medical problems or take any medicines?

Customer:

About 2 weeks off and on, do not wear glasses, have had laser surgery 5 yrs ago. I would sya just the very top of the field of vision. I do tke anit inflamitories although not for a week or so

Dr. Rick :

is this visual problem present all the time or does it change from moment to moment/last a short time.

Customer:

I have at mo 10mg beta blockers only been on for 3 days

Dr. Rick :

When it occurs, how long does it last.

Dr. Rick :

Are you on the beta blockers for this condition?

Customer:

not always there, jsut sometimes notice it, couple of hours. No for anxiety, regulation of pulse and muscle relaxent

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Do you ever feel queezy (not sure how to spell that :), sensitive to light or sound or get a headache after these visual events?

Customer:

Feel queasy quite alot at the moent, dont get headaches as such, being treated for pinched nerve - hence anti inflams - which cause headaches when I do get them

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are suffering from ocular migraines.

Dr. Rick :

A typical migraine headache starts with shimmering lights, often times they surround a blurry area or have dots or jaggedly lines associated with them. They tend to progressively increase in intensity and sometimes march across the visual field causing difficulty with reading. Many times this is then accompanied by nausea, irritability, sensitivity to bright lights and/or loud noises. After the onset of the lights (called scintillating scotomas), the headache typically starts and the light show tends to progressively go away.

Many people can have this migraine phenomenon without the headache; it is called an acephalgic migraine. Some people even start having these late in life, or may have had a few much earlier in life that behaved differently and haven't had any for decades and then begin to have them; this is not uncommon. A family history of migraines is often present as well.

This is nothing to worry about. It is not a sign of a more serious underlying condition, brain tumor or anything like that. If the episodes become so frequent that they are bothersome there are medicines that can be used to decrease their frequency or stop an episode once it has started.

Dr. Rick :

This is something that I personally have been dealing with for many years.....you really don't have anything to worry about.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Still there?

Customer:

yes sorry jusy reading

Dr. Rick :

ok

Customer:

Are you saying the cloudy vision is another way it can present itsself as I do not have the senseitivity to light or noise? Is it worth seeing an optician?

Dr. Rick :

yes. The cloudy vision is a very common way that it presents itself....that is how I get it. I, also, only rarely get the headaches.

Customer:

Ah, the headaches are usually at the temples or up the back of my head. I used to get migranes when I was little - which is when I started to wear glasses. Who would provided the best treatment optitician then doc or just optician

Dr. Rick :

An ophthalmologist (MD) or even a internal medicine MD

Customer:

right. We dont have those over here I dont think - uk- just optician where get eyes tested. will have to speak to them then. many thanks for your help.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good day.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.