Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My 7 and 9 year old have conjunctivitis, we got drops yesterday,

My 7 and 9 year old have conjunctivitis, we got drops yesterday, they were quite clogged up this morning with discharge etc. It is the last day tomorrow before half term, can they go to school without infecting everyone or is it not very contagious and it will be ok for them to attend school.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Did both of the children come down with the problem at the same time? Did each child have both eyes infected at once? What drops are you using?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Did you see my questions above?

Customer:

Hi my daughter Gena, had a very heavy cold, so she was run down, and plays with her brother a lot, so the nurse practitioner said thats how he has got it as well. We got the drops yesterday, they have had it for about 2 days. I will just get the drops and let you know what we have been prescribed.

Customer:

fucithalmic

Dr. Rick :

Ok. So. Gena got the eye issue first and then, a few days later, her brother came down with it. Would you say that this is correct? Would it also be correct to say that one was affected first then, later, the child's other eye became involvod?

Customer:

Hi, Gena and Thomas seemed to have got it both at the same time, ...both eyes and both children are affected, I just really want to know if it is ok for them to attend school tomorrow.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. It may very well be a viral conjunctivitis (pink eye). Since this is a virus there is no reason whatsoever to be using the fucithalmic eye drops. I would suggest stopping them and using cold compresses and artificial tears frequently to soothe and rinse out their eyes. The infection should run it's course over the next 10 days or so.

Dr. Rick :

Now...on to your real question:

Dr. Rick :

This is extremely contiguous and can go through a school like food through a goose. That being said, the kids at school most likely have already been infected so, in my opinion, if your kids wash their hands a lot and do their best not to hug/touch the other kids then I think it would be OK for them to go to the last day of the last day of the half term. If I was in your shoes, I would send my kids to school if they wanted to go. Now. Understand. Not everyone (read other parents) would agree with me ;o)

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

ok..my husbsand went with the children to see the nurse practitioner yesterday, the eyes are quite full of green dishcarge, after sleep. Would you say the nurse practitioner has got this wrong, then, is it not contagious (spelling)...It is their last day tomorrow, I am not sure what to do. They are quite happy to stay at home and not go to school.! And I am a soft mother, which is why I have contact you. But that makes sense.

Dr. Rick :

I mistyped above....I meant to say that most of the other kids in school have already been EXPOSED to the virus...not infected...

Dr. Rick :

No....I think it is pink eye. The discharge is just gunk from the irritation and is very unlikely to be a secondary bacterial infection. Pink is about as contagious as it gets....

Customer:

Thank you for letting me know that it can spread. Your information has been good. I will make my decision tomorrow morning and see how they are. Thank you for your advice..

Dr. Rick :

It they really don't want to go...and you don't want to upset the other parents......and, at their age will missing one day of school really keep them from getting into Medical school anyway, maybe it would be easier to keep them home?

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Always happy to help my friends across the Atllantic :)

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.