Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Alternative to a Vitrectomy for a small macular hole. Patient

Alternative to a Vitrectomy for a small macular hole. Patient is my wife, a 70 yr.old healthy female. We live in Norfolk, Va. and can paricipate in any trial; we have good insurance and the funds to travel..
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Vitrectomy and gas/fluid exchange, with or without a membrane peel, is really the state of the art treatment for a macular hole. There is no current treatment trials looking at other therapy options. As a retina specialist myself I agree with the doctors you have already consulted with -- the standard of care is as you have been told.

Dr. Rick :

If I may ask.....why are you not interested in vitrectomy surgery?

Customer:

My wife doesn't think she can handle the pot-op recovery head -down process.

Dr. Rick :

I can fully understand that concern. However, in order to attempt to fix her hole that is the only current therapy available. If someone else offers you a cure that is different you should not believe them.

Dr. Rick :

Did your surgeon tell you that medical supply rental places have special furniture, chairs, etc to assist her with face down positioning?

Customer:

Yes.

Dr. Rick :

I wish I could offer your wife a significant chance of treating her macular hole without the difficult post-op positioning but, I can assure you, there are no other options available.

Dr. Rick :

After almost two decades of practicing retina I can remember the time before we had this surgery available.......and the treatment of macular holes was not very rewarding, either to the patient or the surgeon. Now, with the current techniques that are available many patients are doing well.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Thanks for your advice. Will you recommend the best clinic in the mid- Atlantic region so that we can get another examination.

Dr. Rick :

Yes. Wills Eye Hospital, in Philadelphia is one of top eye treatment hospitals in the world. Their Retina Department is respected the world over. You can be assured of getting the most up-to-date, unbiased opinion there. Here is a link to their webpage:

Dr. Rick :

http://willsretinaservice.com/localarea.html

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else I can do for you this morning?

Customer:

how can I print our dialogue

Dr. Rick :

You can right click and then hit print on the menu. Or if your browser doesn't have that function, you can right click, hit select all (or high light all the text), hit copy and then past the data into your word processing program and print from there.

Dr. Rick :

Did that work for you?

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you and your wife. Have a good day and best of luck to her.