Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

How can I help my self to get rid off Red Eyes, my Physician

How can I help my self to get rid off Red Eyes, my Physician diagnosed with dry eye, He give me samples of artificial tear Systane Balance, and or Systane Gel Drops, also, a priscribe drops which I don't have name on hand, (I'm @ work now) to use twice a day, they (the drops) don't remove the redness and stops the watery eye. Please help I look like some type of scary creature.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

First of all the naphcon A eye drops, while they will reduce the redness of your eyes for a short period of time, will just do more harm then good in the long run. You should stop using them as well as any OTC drops that say they are for "getting the red out"

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are suffering from an anterior segment/tear film issue. Many times, as we get older, and especially after eye surgery, the anterior surface of the eye starts to have difficulties. What can cause this? Well, there are a number of conditions but the most common are dry eyes, allergies and blepharitis....many times all three conditions act together to make you miserable. In order to solve your problem you need to address all of these issues at the same time.

Dr. Rick :

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist -- or possibly a cornea/external disease specialist -- to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

The name of the Rx drop he gave you might be restasis.

Customer:

Yes! I have being seen by my eye doctor twice, I guess I should make another appointment, by the way He did examen my eyes twice, and also I did have Glucoma surgery and have lens inplants, would that be the reason? and is there any natural way to help my self, like worm or cold compresses?

Dr. Rick :

Yes. Use of some types of glaucoma drops and lens implant surgery can make your eye more likely to have problems with dryness but I really don't think they are the primary reason for your current difficulties.

Dr. Rick :

Warm compresses and the lid scrubs, as I reviewed above, can go a long way toward making your eyes feel a lot better.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else I can help you with this evening?

Customer:

No! Thank you very much for your help.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good evening.