Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified & Fellowship trained eye surgeon.
60442262

I have suddenly developed double vision in my right eye. What

I have suddenly developed double vision in my right eye. What could cause this?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Susan : Are you available to chat?
Dr. Susan :

When you cover the left eye do you still have double vision?

Customer:

Yes, I'm available. Yes, when I cover the left eye the condition persists.

Dr. Susan :

Have you had cataract surgery in the past in that eye?

Customer:

No, I have been told that I have cataracts, but that surgury might be years away.

Dr. Susan :

Do you have macular degeneration or diabetes?

Customer:

I have diabetes.

Dr. Susan :

Is it well controlled?

Customer:

Yes, typically about 130 fasting.

Dr. Susan :

And you say the vision has been declining over the past 2 weeks?

Customer:

Yes, that's part of the reason that I'm concerned.

Dr. Susan :

if someone were to look at you, does the right eye look turned in or out?

Dr. Susan :

I think it is most likely related to your cataract or the macula. Since you are a well controlled diabetic, and I am presuming you dont have macular degeneration, it must be that the lens in involved. Additionally, you could have had a stroke in that eye. However, it is unusual to have progressive decline in vision and double vision at the same time.

Dr. Susan :

I strongly recommend that you see your ophthalmologist soon!

Customer:

I'm not sure. My wife just looked at me from about 2 ft away an dsays that my left eye looks like it might be turned in a bit. BTW, I wear contact adjusted mono-vision. My left eye reads and my right sees distance.

Dr. Susan :

you vision has declined from base line correct?

Customer:

Thursday of last week, one of my eyes became very bloodshot. We gave it little thought - not even sure which eye it was.

Dr. Susan :

Have your wife look at you while you look to the right- do both eyes move together?

Customer:

one moment please

Dr. Susan :

I don't think that has anything to do with the double vision

Customer:

yes

Dr. Susan :

ok- that is good. It tells me that you have not had a stroke to the muscle of the eye

Dr. Susan :

Have you had trauma to the eye lately?

Dr. Susan :

falls?

Customer:

should I assume any degree of urgency when scheduling opthalmologist?

Customer:

No trauma or falls

Dr. Susan :

I would try to get in this week! I always see my patients quickly when they complain of rapid decline in vision.

Dr. Susan :

Make sure you see an ophthalmologist not an optometrist.

Dr. Susan :

It may delay your treatment if there is something that needs urgent attention

Customer:

Thankyou. I think you.ve given all the info that you can from remote situation.

Dr. Susan :

Good luck!! I am hoping that you just need cataract surgery soon! That is simple and easy to treat!

Dr. Susan, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Board Certified & Fellowship trained eye surgeon.