Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

what causes I think it is call eye ora? This happen to me

what causes I think it is call eye ora? This happen to me where the center vision goes blank for about 15 minutes. I uses to have magrins an d this would happen just before an attack. I no longer get the headaches but I am still getting the ora's
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 2 years ago.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Doctor DanB :

Can you describe exactly what you're seeing? Is this something you see in both eyes? Is it a gradual onset? Do you see any shimmering or flashing lights associated with this?

Customer:

To describe the my best way is put 4 letter up no matter what I do I can not see the middle 2 letters this is in both eyes and it seems to happen after or maybe there is a brightness or sun glare. not always but most os the time.

Doctor DanB : Is this a gradual onset or sudden onset? Does it go away gradually or suddenly?
Customer:

Comes on fast thakes 15 to 20 minutes to leave

Doctor DanB : So this is just like your migraines in the past but now you just don't get the headaches anymore? Are you still getting these at the same frequency as you used to get your migraines?
Customer:

no

Doctor DanB : Are these happening more frequently now or less frequently then you used to have your migraines?
Customer:

less , I use to get the headaches at leat 9 to 15 times a mont that ia why i had the surgery the headaches got worse, however i would half the time get a headach without the ora. I used the ora to get to my imatacts fast so I could prevent the headachs most of the time i made it.

Doctor DanB : I think these are still migraines but they've changed in character which is actually not uncommon at all. First a few basics of migraines...A typical migraine headache starts with an abnormal “light show” which sometimes is described as shimmering or zig-zag lights, which can sometimes surround a blurry area of the vision. They tend to progressively increase in intensity and sometimes march across the visual field. Many times this is then accompanied by nausea, irritability, sensitivity to bright lights and/or loud noises, but everyone's pattern is different; some people don't have any of these other symptoms. After the onset of the lights (called scintillating scotomas), the headache typically starts and the light show tends to progressively go away.  The visual phenomenon that people experience with migraines do vary from person to person but often involve blurry vision with a lighted phenomenon; many people describe them as shimmering, but most consistently is an abnormal lighted visual phenomenon which is sometimes associated with blurring or hazy vision.  One of the hallmarks of a person with a typical migraine headache is their need to abandon all activity in favor of a quiet, dark room where they can sleep off the headache. One of the less commonly known features of migraines is that many persons can have this visual migraine phenomenon without actually having headache; this is called an acephalgic migraine. The spectrum of severity of headaches among migraine sufferers runs the gamut from no headache to severe, debilitating headaches. This is what I suspect is happening more to you now, the ace phallic migraine or migraine without headaches. It is actually more common than you might think for someone's migraines to change in character and/or frequency as they get older and I suspect that's what's happened to you. If the vision ever does this strictly in one eye (in other words you can cover one eye and have it completely go away), then this is not a migraine and you should see your doctor immediately for that.
Doctor DanB : Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense?  Do you have any other questions about this?It appears you are momentarily out of the chat room. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need; please just respond with any further needs and I will address them then.If not, Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology