Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

detached retina question for Dr..Rick

detached retina question for Dr..Rick
Category: Eye
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for the specific Expert you have asked for, or if you would prefer that your question be opened up to other Experts? If so, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Expert to assist you right away.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Looking for a medical expert that has experience with eye procedures. Peferably Dr. Rick as he seems to have this experience

Thank you. Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly:-)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am still waiting for an expert. I wont need the information after this weekend so if you cannot provide someone before then I would like a refund
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. I'm sorry....I never saw your retina question posted.

I am online and can help you now.

Can you tell me a little more about your surgery? Did you have a scleral buckle also? The more information you can give me about your situation the more specific I can be in my answer.

What would you like to ask?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I believe it was called a buckle.. they froze the eye then injected some gas into the eyeball...Doctor said the procedure was successful

My question is: they told me no heavy exercise for 2 weeks which totally bummed me out as I am sweat addict.. hehe

this is my second week of recovery and I wondering what type of exercise might be safe now?? walking, jogging, light weight lifting stretching? and why is the exercise forbidden during the recovery?? thanks XXXXX
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
The exercise is limited as the retina has not yet scared down in place and can easily come loose.

I wouldn't recommend you do any type of exercise beyond normal daily activities until your surgeon has had a chance to examine your retina and gives you the OK.

Two weeks is not a magical date after which it is OK to go bouncing your eyeball around :o) After all you have been through I'm sure you don't want to mess things up just so you can get it a "sweat" fix. Try sitting in a sauna ;)

How is your vision doing? If she used a long acting gas it may still be poor and, even if all the gas is gone, I tell my patients that they could get improvement in vision for up to a year after complicated retina surgery.

Walking is ok. The other....wait until you're surgeon has had a look at you.

Does this answer your question? Is there anything else you would like to ask me?

Sorry about the problems you've had contacting me. I took the day off and went snowmobiling Feb 7 (when you first posted) and then, for some reason, our paths never crossed until just now
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
If I've answered your question......

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.

If not....I'm still available to continue our discussion. Let me know
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Dr. Rick, it was informative and helpful. Still wish i could exercise though..hehe
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I can understand what you are saying. I, myself, have been on the "Eat More and Exercise Less Diet"....not lost much weight as of yet, but I remain hopeful ;)

Take care and good luck :o)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ha ha I love your sense of humor Dr. Rick. Sounds like that Seefood diet: I see food, i eat it.. :)

Just so I know, what is it about the exercise that is not conducive to the recovery?? Is it the jostling of the head and eye sockets, increased blood flow to the head?? What is it??

Thanks MArk
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
it is the pulling and bouncing on the retina as it tries to "glue" itself down to the wall of your eye. The laser causes scars to form, much like velcro, that hold the torn retina in place....these scars take time to "set up"

make sense?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK now it makes sense.. I am a technical person so general answers just frustrate me..:) Thanks XX. XXXX
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure. I hope things turn out well for you. Let me know if there is anything else I can do......