Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I had cataract surgery on both eyes (right 10 weeks ago; left

I had cataract surgery on both eyes (right 10 weeks ago; left 8.5 weeks ago) and have had considerable trouble with the eight eye. Dr. said my pupil was very small resulting in a spike in pressure and considerable swelling. The eye is still blurry but not nearly as much as originally; Dr. is of the opinion that there will no further improvement in the blurred vision)(swelling is gone)and has recommended further tweaking.

As if there weren't enough problems, original Dr. noted that my right eyelid was turning under and the cornea was being irritated by the eyelashes. Ten days ago, surgery was performed to correct the lid problem. The eye still has some swelling and bruising; have a postop appointment tomorrow but feel that all is normal.

The tweaking is to consist of a PRK procedure. Best guess was that it will be a month before the eye is ready. Third doc did not want to do lasic, said additional swelling that eyeye could be a permanent problem and recommended the PRK. He was of the opinion that the PRK would restore my vision to 20/30.

My question - do all the problems indicate anything other than the oddoff problem that may occur. What about the PRK? There seems to be a high risk of problems and trouble with recovery. At a minimun, what recovery problems should I expect? Do I need to go to another practice and get another opinion.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Lee Roper.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It does sound like PRK would be a good choice to "tweek" your final vision. When it comes to recovery from PRK there is considerable post-op pain for a few days. This is made a little less by wearing a "bandage" contact lens while the eye heals and taking oral pain meds if necessary. I don't know why there would be any higher risk of problems and recovery from the PRK after cataract surgery then you would normally expect.....

Dr. Rick :

One thought does come to mind: You are only two and half months out from what sounds to have been difficult cataract surgery. Perhaps you should step back for a moment before rushing off to have PRK done, give the eye a 2 or 4 more weeks to calm down (especially given the eyelid surgery) and see what vision you can obtain in both your right and left eye with your best possible glasses (as determined by refraction). You might just find that your vision is good enough with glasses and then you won't even need more surgery.

Dr. Rick :

When it come to your eyes I am a firm believer in obtaining second opinions. When you see the second doctor tell her what your are interested in -- a non-biased opinion on what she recommends. Then with this information in hand you can make a better informed choice.

Dr. Rick :

The good news? Waiting a little while longer to have PRK done will not affect your final visual outcome...what I am saying is that you have nothing to loose by thinking things over a bit more.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dr Rick,

I have been wearing glasses since I was five years old (am now 75) and had coke bottle glasses for the astigmatism (sp). Ihave gone thru considerable expense not to have to wear glassses the last years of my life. The left eye is 20/20. The doc put the big framed equipment over my eyes and said he could correct to 20/30, the best he could do. With both eyes open, this was quite satisfactory to me.

My question was and is - was experience with the right eye more or less usual, thereby making it acceptable? Does the pupil size make sense to you re the swelling and the bluring leaving me needing a further procedure? Did the Restor lens contribute to the overall problem with the swelling and the "rollunder" of the eyelid?

Are you an eye specialist and qualified to answer my questions?

I am a CPA and still practicing so I absolutely will not consider the PRK until after April 15. There has been so much trouble that to expect a routine RPK does not seem realistic.

Hope to hear further from you.

Lee Roper

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
The restore lens has nothing to do with the overall problem or anything to do with the eyelid issues.

Pupil size makes sense to me as far as possibly making the surgery more difficult.

I am an ophthalmologist and have been in practice for almost two decades. I would consider myself more then qualified to discuss this issue with you.

I will be happy to continue our conversation even after you press the accept button. Let me know what else I can do to assist you.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest