Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

In my both eyes have new blood vessels growth after I wear

Customer Question

In my both eyes have new blood vessels growth after I wear contact lens. However, it never gone for few months (I didn't wear contact lens after this problem). Even I keep
using lubricant eye drops when my eyes feel dry. What can I do?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Has your eye doctor told you that she can see new blood vessels growing into your cornea (vascular pannus) or are these vessels that you can see on the white part of your eyeball?

Customer:

I can see the blood vessels on the white part in both eyes.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. It is possible that what you are seeing is not due only to contact lens use but could be a pinguecula, which is caused by a lifetime of exposure to sunlight. Contacts can sometimes irritate these blood vessel rich growths and make them more red.....

Dr. Rick :

Here is some information on pinguecula and their relative, pterygium:

Dr. Rick :

A pterygium is a growth that comes over the cornea (the clear part of the eye). It can be just on the edge or it can grow large enough to interfere with vision. What causes it? Sunlight exposure, chronic eye irritation and life long exposure to UV light seem to be a causitive factor. A pterygium can sometimes become red and irritated; this will respond to lubricating eye drops such as natural tears and, if necessary, prescription eye drops.

If it becomes large enough to interfere with vision it can be surgically removed, but they have a tendency to return. A pterygium is not a form of cancer.

A pinguecula is a small yellowish, red or tan spot on the white part of the eye, usually near the corneal edge. It, also, is not a tumor, but rather a change in the conjunctiva of the eye with a abnormal deposit of fat and protein.

Unlike a pterygium a pinguecula tends not to grow onto the clear cornea and, as such, it requires no surgical treatment. If the pinguecula becomes inflamed it can be treated with soothing drops. Sometimes a pinguecula rubs on soft contact lens or a patient doesn't like the way it looks. If this is the case it can be easily removed by surgery but often a scar is left behind that is as cosmetically bad as the original growth.

Dr. Rick :

Like I mentioned above these can be removed with minor surgery but sometimes they can regrow even worse then they were before.

Dr. Rick :

You are doing the correct thing by using the artificial tears. You can also scrub your eyelashes with baby shampoo to unplug any tear glands (meibomium glands) and wash away allergens.

Dr. Rick :

I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Dr. Rick :

A complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist should be able to allow you to review all available treatment options if these conservative measures don't make things better.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Thank you. XXXXX want to try to do the surgery, where can I go. About how much it cause. Because the blood vessels make me don't have confident even look at people. When people talk to me, they look at my eyes. They feel really scare and make fun to me.

Dr. Rick :

Any ophthalmologist can do the surgery for you. The cost will vary depending on what part your health insurance is willing to pick up. As it can, many times, in the office procedure room with local anesthesia it is not very expensive at all but you need to be examined first before you can know what and how much surgery needs to be done and what it will cost.

Dr. Rick :

You should be able to start wearing contact lenses again should you so desire :)

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

How come these blood vessels will never gone. Even more red when the place is bright. I feel really frustrated.

Dr. Rick :

I can understand your frustration. They never will go away, although they can be much less red at some time then others, because they are an extra amount of tissue on your eye that just naturally have more blood vessels. Since the skin on your eye is so thin you can see these vessels and it looks red. Also, using drops such as visine will tend to just make things worse so you should avoid using them.

Customer:

What is visine drops? If I keep using the lubricant eye drops everyday (about four times a day) is it right?

Dr. Rick :

yes. That is correct. Use the lubricant eye drops just like you are. Visine is a drop you can buy that says on the bottle "for getting the red out"......if you are not using a drop like that don't worry about it.

Customer:

besides using eye drops or surgery. It seems nothing to do to heal the blood vessels. Right?

Dr. Rick :

That is correct.

Customer:

Thank you very much!

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good evening.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Dr. Rick

Last time I asked you about the surgery to remove the blood vessels which naturally growthin the white part in both eyes after I wear the contact lens. You said that the surgery may have the risk that left the scar or the blood vessels will growth again. Can you talk more about the procedure or details about this kind of surgery? Waiting for your reply. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, Dr. Rick,

Last time I asked you about my both eyes have new blood vessels growth in the white part of my eyes. You talked about doing surgery can remove it but it may have the risks of left a scar or the blood vessels growth again. Can you talk more about the surgery such as the procedure or more details? Awaiting your reply. Thank you.

Optional Information:
Gender: Female
Age: 40

Already Tried:
Lubricant eye drops (about 4 times a day)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Well, it is done under local anesthesia, usually in a procedure room or minor OR setting. The growth (pinguecula or ptergium) is dissected free from the wall of your eye (sclera) and, along with another tissue layer called tenons capsule, is excised.

Sometimes the white sclera is then "buffed" with a diamond burr. At this point various techniques can be used to complete the surgery. One technique, called "bare sclera" just leaves this area to heal on its own. Sometimes a special medicine (mitomycin C) is placed on the bare area for a short period of time, and then rinsed off and the residual conjunctiva is tacked down with stitches, leaving the exposed sclera alone (like in the bare sclera technique) or the conjunctiva is sutured closed over the surgical defect, covering the sclera.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Here is a lot of videos on pterygium and pinguecula surgery:

http://search.yahoo.com/sear ch;_ylt=A0oG7k.xzjJPrlIAZ5MQRAUJ;_ylc=X1MDUCMxNTEzNDAwNDgEX3IDMgRjc3JjcHZpZANjcS5yMEVvRzd2NHgua1NoVHZTdlV3eEFZVllzUjA4eXpyRUFBRkpsBGZyA3l0ZmYxLQRmcjIDc2ctZ2FjBGl0A2dwBG5fZ3BzAzEwBG9yaWdpbgN5dGIEcG9zAzUEcHFzdHIDcHRlcnlnaXVtIHN1cmdlcnkgBHF1ZXJ5A3B0ZXJ5Z2l1bSBzdXJnZXJ5IARzYWMDMQRzYW8DMgRzZWMDcmVsLXNhBHNsawN0ZXh0BHZ0ZXN0aWQDU01FMDgx?p=pterygium%20surgery%20video&fr=ytff1-&pqstr=pterygium%20surgery%20&fr2=sg-gac

Also, sometimes conjunctiva is taken from another place on the eyeball to cover the surgical defect or the donor conjunctiva is taken from the other eye.

Does this make sense to you?

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.