Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

Took a direct hit from a soccer ball from a guy kicking the

Took a direct hit from a soccer ball from a guy kicking the ball hard a few feet away, with my eye closed, and had immediate blurriness/darkness on lower pole of my vision. The blurriness is better today but still there. It's only there when I open both eyes and I can see it more in reduced light situations. When I look through that eye with the other eye closed it isn't there. Mild pain and no photophobia. What do you think?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 2 years ago.

Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

Which eye was hit? or was it both?

Customer:

Just the right eye.

Dr. James :

When you close the left eye, what do you see?

Customer:

I don't see the blurriness or shading at the lower areas. Overall acuity maybe alittle less then before.

Dr. James :

When you close the right eye, you see the dark spot?

Customer:

yes, it's there

Dr. James :

so it appears the problem is in the eye that was not hit.

Dr. James :

With these type of blunt trauma bleeding of the retina can occur which may be the dark spot you are seeing.

Customer:

no, it was the eye that was hit

Customer:

do you think I should see someone today or is tomorrow okay.

Dr. James :

So when you close your right eye, you see the dark spot in that closed eye?

Customer:

yes

Dr. James :

Since the vision is not affect, you should be ok to see an ophthalmologist tomorrow when the office opens.

Dr. James :

if you notice changes in your vision, then you may want to see someone today.

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I was thinking. I appreciate your expertise. I'll see how well I can see the super bowl.

Dr. James :

You should be aware of signs of a retinal detachment (new floaters, new floaters, or a shadow or curtain in the periphery of your vision).

Dr. James :

If any of those occurs, you should see a doctor promptly.

Customer:

Okay, I'll watch for that. It does seem like it is less today.

Dr. James :

Good. Enjoy the Super Bowl!

Customer:

Hope you can too. Thanks!

Dr. James :

Thank you.

Dr. James :

Please remember to press the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for assisting you today.

Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon