Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I rubbed my eye too hard and the inside corner of it is swollen

I rubbed my eye too hard and the inside corner of it is swollen almost over the white part to the eye. What did I do and will it fix itself?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Is it your eyelid that is swollen or is it the white part of your eyeball (conjunctiva) that is swollen?

Dr. Rick :

Also, it it red or bloodshot or does it itch at all?

Customer:

It is neither the white part or the eyelid. It is the inside corner of my eye, the light pink lining past the tear duct. Eye is a little bloodshot but not bad. Not itching right now. Just feels weird due to the swollen inside membrane.

Customer:

Also I paid for and wanted this answer. Do not want the ongoing monthly fee or charges.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. It sounds like that area that you are talking about is called the caruncle.

Customer:

What type of damage have I done to it, temporary or permanent? It looks bad and feels weird. How do I treat it?

Dr. Rick :

You should not get the ongoing fees and charges but, since I don't work in that department (I'm just a worker bee happily handing out answers lol!) you should click on customer service at the end of our discussion to make sure that you didn't sign up for that program by mistake

Customer:

The way this website is designed, they had the monthly rate already marked and you had to accept to send you the question. There was no option to decline it.

Dr. Rick :

It is temporary and everything will be ok. I would use artificial tears 4-6x/day and as needed to sooth your eye and also put cold/ice compresses. The swelling should be much less by morning.

Dr. Rick :

If it gets worse, becomes more painful, your vision should become infected or if it is not much better in the morning you should have an ophthalmologist take a look at you.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Yes, it makes sense. Good to hear. Injuring your eye is a scary thing. Hope I can make sure the monthly charge doesn't happen.

Customer:

I don't see a customer service link or phone #. Can you give it to me.

Dr. Rick :

Hmmm....I didn't know the website had changed like that. I will mention your issue to the department that deals with that and see if there are changes that can be made.

Dr. Rick :

Actually, on this side of the screen I don't have a link to that. Let me see what I can find for you. As to your question, is there anything else you would like to ask me while I look for a customer service link for you?

Customer:

What is the purpose of the caruncle?

Dr. Rick :

It is a little piece of tissue that is full of cells from your immune system. It helps to prevent infection.

Dr. Rick :

You can go to this page and contact customer support:

Dr. Rick :

Kinda like your tonsels

Customer:

Thanks for your help and for the contact information.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Sorry about the problems with possibly getting stuck in a ongoing monthly fee deal.....

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest