Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

just recent diagonse with retia pigmatosa only had poor night

just recent diagonse with retia pigmatosa only had poor night vision like everyone my age is 54 liscense taken need a second opinion so i can drive any helep would be appreciated
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

There are various sub types of RP. Have you had a complete workup by a retina specialist, including evaluation of your family members?

Dr. Rick :

What major city are you near? Could you travel to the United States for a second opinion?

Customer:

iam the ony one out of 2 kids and they are find mo9ter is 74 no problem and 6 sibling and they have no signs

Customer:

test done in halifax nova sctia i kive in newbrunswick

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Have you had an ERG done, in addition to an exam by a retina specialist with genetic testing?

Customer:

not sure what is that

Dr. Rick :

It is a test where you have an electrode (kinda like a contact lens with a wire attached) placed on your eye with another electrode placed on your face. Then you look in a box/screen while different lights are turned off and/or flashed.

Customer:

yes in halifax

Dr. Rick :

OK.

Dr. Rick :

Have you noticed that your vision has been getting worse over the last few years/decades and now it is hard to see to the side and very hard to see at night?

Dr. Rick :

Still there?

Dr. Rick :

ok....

Customer:

no change at night in the last 7month diagon in sept 2011

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Are you looking to have your diagnosis confirmed/denied or are you looking more for the possibility that another eye doctor would say that your daytime vision is good enough so you can drive during the day?

Customer:

small town eye specialist took my licence 5months before i was diagonise and having difficult getting a eye dr. to sign off in case of accident they are underfire

Dr. Rick :

I understand. As a retina specialist I treat quite a few RP patients and their families. Many patients are able to maintain good enough vision in daylight conditions to keep their driving privileges.

Dr. Rick :

Do you think that you could get back out to Halifax and see if those doctors, who know you and your condition well, would be able to help you obtain a daylight restricted drivers license?

Customer:

iagree so frustrating and i have been in recovery for alclhol for ten years and thats my haven driving i have not driven at nightevry little in the last 2 years i haven,t had a accident 20 years that should count!

Customer:

had the test done did,t see a doctor reports send to specialist

Dr. Rick :

You are correct....it should. Have you had any success asking this small town eye doctor who took away your license to re-evaluate you, in light of your known RP, for a daytime limited drivers license? Since he took it away I think the government would listen if he sent in a form saying that, with repeat testing, you are safe to drive during the day.

Customer:

the doctor refuse to change his mind already tried

Dr. Rick :

Well, then, you are correct. Your only recourse at this point is to have another eye doctor re-test your vision and, if you pass the test, to give you a form saying that a daytime limited license is OK. I think that the docs who examined you and did all the special testing in Halifax would be a good place to go for this.

Dr. Rick :

Although it does look like a pretty good trip from your home when I look at the map.....

Customer:

the doctor is the specialst that took my licene away and to go to halifax i need my licene in new brunswick and no eye doctor in the miramichi will change it!

Dr. Rick :

Perhaps what that means, as hard as this is to hear, is that your best vision is not good enough to meet the legal criteria necessary for the government to give you even a daytime limited drivers license.

Dr. Rick :

Since you have already tried to get the small town eye doctor to change his mind....and he won't; and you have talked to the specialists in Halifax and they too refuse to help you get a drivers license, it seems that you have done a good job of talking to all the right people and there is not much else left to do.

Dr. Rick :

I'm sorry to say this but I think you have done everything that can be done at this point.

Customer:

no addition to regular glasses to help or mirows on a car

Dr. Rick :

Glasses will not help with the vision loss in RP; mirrors are a good idea if the government agency that give out drivers licenses in your area will allow that. In the USA extra mirrors to compensate for vision/visual field loss are not allowed.

Customer:

if i take a field vision test on the humphreys machine whaqt is the level you need for driving

Dr. Rick :

In my State of Wisconsin you must be able to see 20/40 and have 70 degrees of field of vision for an unlimited license.

Dr. Rick :

vision less then that requires an exam and form to be filled out by an eye doctor

Dr. Rick :

These criteria, however, vary from State to State in the USA

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are typing and that could mean a couple of things: 1. you are actually typing or, 2, the chat system has frozen up. I'll give it a few more minutes and if I've not seen anything from you I'll switch over to the Q&A system. That system works a lot like 'text messaging' but, unlike the chat system, it almost never freezes up. We can continue to work on your question there. :o)

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Sorry about that.....the chat system froze up. I'm still here and available if you would like to continue our chat