Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I had Lazik corection for more than 5 years ago, and I have

I had Lazik corection for more than 5 years ago, and I have always noticed one eye hs the upper lid inflamated in the mourning and nights spepecially and slightly during the days. I once consulted a general family doctor about this after the operation but he just tried to convince me it was in my mind. now I am absolutly sure it is related to the procedure.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Of course, the best person to consult about this condition is an ophthalmologist and, if possible, the ophthalmologist who did your lasik surgery.

Dr. Rick :

Just reviewing the steps and procedures for lasik surgery it seems unlikely that some part of the eye surgery over 5 years ago would be the primary cause of intermittent, one sided, upper eyelid inflammation.

Customer:

To be honess I want to find out on myself before reaching the Dr who achived the procedure the most I can to be well informed.

Dr. Rick :

That is a good idea. Can you tell me more about how this inflammation manifests, has it been getting worse over the years, staying the same et?

Dr. Rick :

etc?

Customer:

Yes, I believe it has increased and makes one eye look like not completely open but if you take a closer look u realize that actually it is the lid that is inflamated

Dr. Rick :

Other then cold water in the morning have you tried any other treatments?

Customer:

Allergic eye drops

Customer:

OTC

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, allergic eye drops would work well on issues that affect the eyeball itself but not so much the eyelid as you are describing.

Dr. Rick :

I think that there is something else you can try for a few weeks and see if you get any results.

Customer:

If I lay on my back for about 15min when I am back on my feet you would notice the difference in my eyelids

Dr. Rick :

ok. Well, it does sound like you have something going on,unlike what the GP told you in the past.

Dr. Rick :

I suggest you get some 1% hydrocortisone cream and put a small amount on your affected lid 3x/day for the next 14 days. You should noticed a marked decrease in the nightime and morning swelling.

Customer:

Is this sold OTC

Dr. Rick :

If not then it may be more of an anatomical issue rather then an inflammation issue and would be best treated and evaluated by an ophthalmologist.

Dr. Rick :

Yes it is OTC

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

By "An anatomycal issue" you refer?

Dr. Rick :

Perhaps some weakness or tearing of the muscle that elevates your eyelid

Customer:

Could hat be caused during the procedure as the eyelid is restrained?

Dr. Rick :

That is possible.

Customer:

If that would be the case (just in case) can it be fixed?

Dr. Rick :

Yes. It can be fixed with a fairly routine eyelid surgery.

Customer:

Who does that?

Dr. Rick :

Almost any ophthalmologist (eye MD), oculo-plastic surgeon or even some regular plastic surgeons

Customer:

Good to know!

Dr. Rick :

Well, hopefully the steroid cream will solve your problem and it won't turn out to be a torn muscle.....

Dr. Rick :

There really is nothing to loose by trying the cream for a few weeks.

Customer:

What about if the cream helps but as soon I stop using it the problem contonues

Customer:

Or is it that if it is an anayomycal problem the crea should not solve, right?

Dr. Rick :

That is an excellent question. In that case you would know that your problem is due to inflammation, allergies or something in the environment and you can start a search for what that might be.....not a lot of fun....

Dr. Rick :

That is correct. The cream will have no effect on your lid if the problem is anatomical in nature.

Customer:

Good, will try, thank you!

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Good luck to you :)

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.