Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

my grandaughter of 4years of age has ver suddenly in the last

my grandaughter of 4years of age has ver suddenly in the last 10 days developed a very obvious turn in the eye it is very bad she says no pain we have looked at pictures and possibility on one that there is a small white dot doc seems in no hurry to push the referral through shall we go to an optician in the morning can they help very worried

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Just so I understand what you are saying: Your 4 year old grand daughter, who does not wear glasses and seems to be healthy in all other respects has suddenly started to manifest a turn of her left eye (?toward or away from her nose). Is this correct?

Customer:

correct sudden turn in eye towards nose getting worse really noticeable today and she been sleeping more last few nights can you help

Dr. Rick :

I do not think you have to worry about anything systemic, such as a brain tumor (which everyone always thinks of :) but it does sound like she needs to be seen by a pediatric ophthalmologist in the very near future.

Dr. Rick :

If you can't get in to see an eye MD then an optician/optometrist is better then nothing.

Dr. Rick :

Other then possibly sleeping a little bit more the last few nights, would you say that she is acting normal?

Customer:

because it has accelerated so quickly have u any iseas on what it may be there is a possibility of a white dot in the photo how much time have we will it make a difference

Dr. Rick :

Yes. I believe I know what the white dot in the photo is.

Customer:

yes have read up on that how can i get a positive photo is cancer the only reason for dot

Dr. Rick :

Of course, and I'm sure you've found this on the internet, the most important thing to rule out when you see a white reflex in the pupil of a picture of a child is a tumor. There are two common tumors in children, retinoblastoma and medulloepithelioma.

Dr. Rick :

These tumors are usually discovered at an earlier age then 4 years old.......while it is possible that your daughter has one of these, or some other form of eye tumor I DO NOT believe it is likely.

Customer:

how important is time doc dont seem to bbe rushing

Dr. Rick :

I think the white spot you are seeing in your grand daughters pictures is her normal optic nerve. When one eye crosses, as is the case with your grand daughter, the turned eye can have the nerve line up with the camera lens....and you see a white pupillary reflex.

Dr. Rick :

If it is a tumor? Time is important. If it is a squint with the optic nerve showing in the pictures a few weeks really won't make a difference.

Customer:

what are the symptons of the eye disease caused by dog faeces

Dr. Rick :

That is a parasite infection of the eye, toxacara canis. It is extremely rare and I would not put it high on my differential diagnosis list for your Grand daughters symptoms/findings at this point

Customer:

do you think the optician would be able to tell if it is serious

Dr. Rick :

In the USA opticians only fit glasses......do they do complete eye exams, with dilation, in the UK?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Rick :

If they dilate her eyes, and it is obvious, then they probably could. I would feel better, however, if your grand daughter was evaluated by a pediatric ophthalmologist.

Dr. Rick :

an UK optician might be able to diagnose if your grand daughters crossed eyes are from a need for glasses and if she has lost any vision due to them crossing (amblyopia)

Customer:

the doctors dont rush anything here have to wait for a referral

Dr. Rick :

Is there any way to speed up the process? If you can't speed things up, how long do you think it would be before she was seen by a peds eye MD?

Customer:

its been a week now hopefully soon but dont know how long would you wait or shall we go into hospital and insist on seeing specialist

Dr. Rick :

If you can get a dilated exam and refraction from an optician tomorrow like you said then I would do that. At least that way you are making some progress and will have more data. Also, if the optician finds anything that concerns him then it might be easier, with the opticians help, to get in to see a pediatric ophthalmologist.

Dr. Rick :

Does that make sense to you?

Customer:

ok thanks for your help what do i do now to sign off

Dr. Rick :

Just hit the accept button if you are happy with the help I've given you and then sign off.

Dr. Rick :

If you have a chance could you drop me a note on this thread when you learn what is going on with your grand daughter?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.