Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I got hair dye in my eye yesterday. I flushed it well with

I got hair dye in my eye yesterday. I flushed it well with lots of water. It is bloodshot today and hurts a bit but my vision is fine. Should I see a doctor?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you might have a mild chemical conjunctivitis. As long as your eye feels fine (no foreign body sensation, pain, burning etc) and you vision seems normal I do not think you have to see an ophthalmologist at this time.

Dr. Rick :

I suggest you use some artificial tears 4 to 6x/day (there are many brand names) to soothe your eye. The redness should slowly improve but may take a week or so to completely resolve.

Dr. Rick :

If you start to get a discharge from your eye, if it should start to hurt or if your vision should be affected then you should be examined by an ophthalmologist right away.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

By the way.....you the the correct thing by flushing your eye with large amounts of water right away :o)

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue. I'm still online and available to help....
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
I noticed that you mentioned that your eye hurts a bit right now (don't know how I missed that in the first place.....:(

A small amount of discomfort is nothing to worry about. This being said, if it wakes you up at night or is painful enough that you can't concentrate on what you are doing then you should have your eye looked at by an ophthalmologist just to be on the safe side.

Let me know if you would like to discuss this further.