Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Have cataracts in both eyes My best corrected vision is

Have cataracts in both eyes

My best corrected vision is R6/12 L6/15

I believe that I will not be able to do without glases and this is fine.
Have been wearing trhem since I was 12 years old and now am 67 years

Surgeon 1- has suggested to start with the left eye as it is non dominant and give me -1.5 outcome and then see whether we can produce an -1.50 outcome in the right eye.

Surgeon 2 has not given me details of outcome but thinks it is not right to start out with the left eye - made me feel that it would be irresposible of him top work on the weakest eye first.

Not sure waht to do.

Would like to be able to read without glasses but happy to wear them for driving, watching live sport etc.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

First of all, using the Medicare (USA) criteria, you left eye vision is bad enough to qualify for payment to remove the cataract. Your right eye would qualify if there were issues with glare etc. This, of course, may not matter in Australia. That being said, there is a point when the benefit of improved vision outweighs the risks of the surgery. As a surgeon yourself I'm sure you understand this completely :)

Dr. Rick :

I think it really doesn't matter which eye you have done first. From the data you presented I would, personally, do the left one first then the right. Shooting for -1.50 diopter final Rx in both eyes is a good choice as you would be able to do most near tasks without glasses while at the same time doing many far vision tasks well enough with the little blurry vision you would have, knowing that a mild distance Rx will make your distance vision crisp and clear.

Dr. Rick :

I would choose the surgeon you are most comfortable with....

Dr. Rick :

Our chat system seems to be having problems. I've not been able to see the things you were typing. Let's switch to the Q&A format and continue there.....

Customer:

THX FOR THE ABOVE.

Dr. Rick :

I was able to see that post....

Customer:

wOULD U HAVE ANY OTHER RECOMENDATIONS ?

Customer:

OTHER THAN -1.5?

Customer:

Let's switch to the Q&A format and continue there.....??

Dr. Rick :

Have you discussed implanting an intraocular lens that is designed to give you both near and distance vision in one?

Customer:

NO. TELL ME MORE PLS

Dr. Rick :

There are a number of brand names such as restore, rezoom, and technis. They are like a progressive pair of glasses only implanted in your eye. There are downsides to them such as loss of contrast sensitivity, nightime glare and some distortions. Here is a website that discusses them in greater detail:

Dr. Rick :

http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/multifocal-iols.htm

Dr. Rick :

Some patients love them some hate them. The only problem is, if you hate them, it is another eye surgery to remove the lens and implant the standard monofocal lens, with all the risks of the original surgery and sometimes more...

Customer:

Yes, now I remember,it was discussed but as I like driving, the nightime glare was a no-no.

Dr. Rick :

But to answer your question, shooting for -1.50 post op Rx is a good choice.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Then you are right to stay away from them....

Customer:

Thx for ur help. Am I able to contact u again about this matter?How?

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are in good hands with surgeon #1

Customer:

My feeling too.

Dr. Rick :

yes. Even after you hit accept you can come back to this thread and I will be happy to discuss this more with you at no additional charge. Just remember I am on the other side of the planet from you...it's almost my bedtime now :)

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Have a good day, mate ;)

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.