Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I HAVE A CHRONIC EYE CONDIIION AND AM ALREADY ON A DAILY REGIMEN

I HAVE A CHRONIC EYE CONDIIION AND AM ALREADY ON A DAILY REGIMEN OF RESTASIS AND ORACEA. EVERY SO OFTEN I WILL GET AN EYE THAT STARTS TO TEAR AND THE INNER EYELID GETS MORE PINK THAN USUAL BUT THE WHITE OF THE EYE SEEMS FINE. I SEE MY EYE DR WHENEVER THIS COMES UP BUT AM PREPARING FOR A TRIP AND WANT TO BE SURE TO TAKE WITH ME THE DROPS THAT HAVE WORKED BEFORE BUT DO NO CAUSE A THREAT FOR THE EYE PRESSURE. I KNOW WHEN I BEGIN THE DROPS I MUST DO THEM FOR 7 DAYS AND HAVEN'T HAD TO DO THOSE FOR ABOUT SIX MONTHS. I HAVE BOTH VIGAMOX AND LOTEMAX AND I BELIEVE IT IS THE LOTEMAX WHICH IS CRITICAL TO BE MONITORED FOR ANY BUILD UP OF PRESSURE.
I ALSO USE BEPREVE AS A PREVENTATIVE IF ITCHING ALSO ACCOMPANIES THE RUNNY EYE. I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SEE MY DR UNTIL RETURNING SO PLAN TO TAKE BOTH WITH ME IN CASE I HAVE TREAT MY EYE WHILE AWAY. WHICH ONE IS THE SAFER ONE AS FAR AS THE PRESSURE GOES? [THE LOW DOSE OF ORACEA IS TAKEN AS A PREVENTATIVE AND SOMETIMES EVERY OTHER DAY INSTEAD OF EVERY DAY.]
THANK YOU FOR ANY INSIGHT YOU CAN PROVIDE.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

The lotemax, which is a steroid, is the more risky drop to use. As you have already noted it can, in a small sub-population of patients, cause glaucoma (steroid induced glaucoma) with extended use.

Dr. Rick :

The good news? If you need to use the steroid drops for a few days or so it won't impact your eye pressure....it usually takes at least 3 weeks to see an increase in intraocular pressure in those patients who are at risk for steroid induced glaucoma.

Dr. Rick :

So, to answer your question the bepreve and the vigamox are the safer of the drops to use that you have mentioned.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
No problem.....I am a retina specialist and would be happy to help you with any diabetes/retina question. Thanks for the positive feedback :)
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD