Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I HAVE A CHRONIC EYE CONDIIION AND AM ALREADY ON A DAILY REGIMEN

I HAVE A CHRONIC EYE CONDIIION AND AM ALREADY ON A DAILY REGIMEN OF RESTASIS AND ORACEA. EVERY SO OFTEN I WILL GET AN EYE THAT STARTS TO TEAR AND THE INNER EYELID GETS MORE PINK THAN USUAL BUT THE WHITE OF THE EYE SEEMS FINE. I SEE MY EYE DR WHENEVER THIS COMES UP BUT AM PREPARING FOR A TRIP AND WANT TO BE SURE TO TAKE WITH ME THE DROPS THAT HAVE WORKED BEFORE BUT DO NO CAUSE A THREAT FOR THE EYE PRESSURE. I KNOW WHEN I BEGIN THE DROPS I MUST DO THEM FOR 7 DAYS AND HAVEN'T HAD TO DO THOSE FOR ABOUT SIX MONTHS. I HAVE BOTH VIGAMOX AND LOTEMAX AND I BELIEVE IT IS THE LOTEMAX WHICH IS CRITICAL TO BE MONITORED FOR ANY BUILD UP OF PRESSURE.
I ALSO USE BEPREVE AS A PREVENTATIVE IF ITCHING ALSO ACCOMPANIES THE RUNNY EYE. I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SEE MY DR UNTIL RETURNING SO PLAN TO TAKE BOTH WITH ME IN CASE I HAVE TREAT MY EYE WHILE AWAY. WHICH ONE IS THE SAFER ONE AS FAR AS THE PRESSURE GOES? [THE LOW DOSE OF ORACEA IS TAKEN AS A PREVENTATIVE AND SOMETIMES EVERY OTHER DAY INSTEAD OF EVERY DAY.]
THANK YOU FOR ANY INSIGHT YOU CAN PROVIDE.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

The lotemax, which is a steroid, is the more risky drop to use. As you have already noted it can, in a small sub-population of patients, cause glaucoma (steroid induced glaucoma) with extended use.

Dr. Rick :

The good news? If you need to use the steroid drops for a few days or so it won't impact your eye pressure....it usually takes at least 3 weeks to see an increase in intraocular pressure in those patients who are at risk for steroid induced glaucoma.

Dr. Rick :

So, to answer your question the bepreve and the vigamox are the safer of the drops to use that you have mentioned.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
No problem.....I am a retina specialist and would be happy to help you with any diabetes/retina question. Thanks for the positive feedback :)