Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

just started to notice yellow floater in one eye. Not there

just started to notice yellow floater in one eye. Not there always, but this is different. Sometimes, it seems that there are some lines around it.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are experiencing a posterior vitreous detachment

Dr. Rick :

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Yes it does - my concern is macula degeneration. No, I don't have it, but is this a symptom? Also, if it is a tear, does that mean surgery - or medication? Thanks for your guidance

Customer:

I may have pressed the wrong button. My concern is macula degeneration - could this be a symptom? Also, if it is a tear, does that mean surgery or just medication?

Dr. Rick :

No. This is not a symptom of macular degeneration. If there is a small tear it can,many times, be treated with a simple laser treatment in the office. That being said retinal complications from a PVD are not very common.

Dr. Rick :

You're pressing the correct button :)

Customer:

Thank you very much. Should I discontinue use of medications currently being taken for conjunctivitis - and lubricating eye drops until I see my opthalmologist? My eyes are really dry, especially with the dryness in my office. What do you recommend?

Dr. Rick :

Yes. That would be a good idea.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

It has been a pleasure to help you today. Take care.