Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I am seeing colors like rainbows in both eyes out the corners

I am seeing colors like rainbows in both eyes out the corners of my vision
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 2 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Is this accompanied by light sensitivity, loud noise sensitivity, headache or nausea?
Customer:

A slight headache my blood pressure is elevated some and I recently started working with computers everyday. I was on my way home and started seeing colors out the sides of my eyes

Doctor DanB : Does this appear more psychedelic or electrical in nature?
Customer:

It has been about 9 hours now

Customer:

psychedelic

Customer:

almost like a ribbon in both eyes

Doctor DanB : This sounds very consistent with a migraine. A typical migraine headache starts with an abnormal “light show” which sometimes is described as shimmering or zig-zag lights, which can sometimes surround a blurry area of the vision. They tend to progressively increase in intensity and sometimes march across the visual field. Many times this is then accompanied by nausea, irritability, sensitivity to bright lights and/or loud noises, but everyone's pattern is different; some people don't have any of these other symptoms. After the onset of the lights (called scintillating scotomas), a headache (and/or possibly eye pain) typically starts and the light show tends to progressively go away.  The visual phenomenon that people experience with migraines do vary from person to person but often involve blurry vision with a lighted phenomenon; many people describe them as shimmering, but most consistently is an abnormal lighted visual phenomenon which is sometimes associated with blurring or hazy vision.  One of the hallmarks of a person with a typical migraine headache is their need to abandon all activity in favor of a quiet, dark room where they can sleep off the headache. One of the less commonly known features of migraines is that many persons can have this visual migraine phenomenon without actually having headache; this is called an acephalgic migraine. The spectrum of severity of headaches among migraine sufferers runs the gamut from no headache to severe, debilitating headaches. There tend to be many varied triggers for migraines, but some of the most common are chocolate, wine and cheese, stress, overuse of the eyes, and exposure to fluorescent lighting.  Many people find that over-the-counter migraine preparations such as Excedrin-migraine work well. The common theme among these preparations is the ingredient of caffeine. There are prescription medicines that can be taken on a daily basis to help prevent them (if they become frequent enough to alter your life) and there are also medicines that can be taken on an as needed basis to help abort the headaches once they start. Most primary care doctors feel comfortable prescribing these, but if not, a neurologist would be a good place to start. If you are having other symptoms such as loss of vision in one eye, double vision, difficulty talking or swallowing, or are experiening numbness or weakness in any specific part of the body, these are symptoms which are not normal for migraines and you should see either your primary care doctor or an emergency room doctor as soon as possible.
Doctor DanB : Does this make sense?
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other concerns about this that we haven't addressed? 
Customer:

thank you very much.I have had migraines for a while but never seen this before. I will seek my eye doctor for my vision to make sure it is not my eyesight and my new job.

Doctor DanB : You're welcome. Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.
Customer:

you have been more than helpful thank you and I will accept have a great night :)

Doctor DanB : Many pleasure. Good luck.
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology