Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

How to stop Age related macular degeneration

Customer Question

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Our chat system seems to be on the blink at the moment. We can use this, the Q&A system to address your question.

There are two major types of age related macular degeneration(ARMD), the dry and the wet.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Oops! You hit the accept button when I was in the middle of answering your question. Don't worry, I am still here and will make sure you get the information you need :)
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
For the wet type, the current treatment of choice in most cases is an injection of medicine into the eyeball. There are three medicines used: Lucentis, Avastin and a new one, afibercept.

Other forms of treatment, which have been used for many years and are still used in selected cases are laser (cauterizes the leaking blood vessels) and PDT (cold laser)

It is also important to check your central vision daily with an amsler grid and see your ophthalmologist promptly with any changes you notice. Also, smoking makes all forms of macular degeneration much worse.

Now, let's talk about dry ARMD.....
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
For dry ARMD the only known beneficial treatment was determined in a large study called AREDS. In this study it was found that certain vitamins can slow the progression of this type of ARMD.

This formulation of vitamins can be found in commercial pills. There are many brand names such ICaps and Ocuvite.

Once again it is important to stop smoking and check your vision daily with an amsler grid.

Here is a good web page on this topic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macular_degeneration

Does this make sense to you?

I know you paid me early and I want to make sure that all your concerns have been addressed. I will standby in case you would like to comment or ask me something else.

Thanks for the accept.....even if it was a little bit early ;o)