Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

hi my 7 year old son has myopia and astigmatism in both eyes

hi my 7 year old son has myopia and astigmatism in both eyes he has been wearing glasses for this since he was 4-5yrs we are not getting any improvement in his vision despite regular checks and multiple prescription changes, his vision is still at least 4 lines off the chart whilst wearing the glasses. Also he could see the same level 2-3 years ago without the glasses on as he can see now with them, however, if he takes them off his vision has gotten much worse, my concern is if he had not wore the glasses his vision without the glasses would be better and since wearing them has not given any improvement it seems to have been a mistake, we are not getting any answers from the nhs and would like to take him to a private consultant to try to understand his condition further can you recommend anyone?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

Hi can you give me some advice regarding the treatment of my son, we are getting no feedback from the NHS

Customer:

hi i have received an email saying you have answered my question but i have not received an answer only 1 reply to say you are online and happy to answer, this is the first time i have used this service, please can you confirm have you answered and if so where can i read it? thanks

Customer:

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm sorry, but I had computer problems. I'm back online now.

Dr. Rick :

I do not believe that the eyeglasses your son has been wearing has damaged, or made worse, his current vision. Since you are not getting the information you want and need from the person who is currently prescribing your son's glasses I agree with you: It is time for you son to be examined by an expert.

Dr. Rick :

I suggest you take him to a pediatric ophthalmologist for a complete eye exam. There are many Board Certified pediatric eye doctors in the UK and I can recommend any of them that are are associated with Moorfields Eye Hospital. Hopefully there is a consultant near you that is part of this very good Eye Hospital.

Customer:

do you have any other advice or is that your final recommendation?

Dr. Rick :

What would you like to ask me?

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

Dr. Rick :

Hello?

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer. I would be happy to discuss progressive myopia in children if you would like

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

If you can tell me where you live and what large city your are close to I'll be happy to find a pediatric ophthalmologist for you.

Dr. Rick :

I guess you are no longer there.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.