Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

why am i seeing a yellow spot in my left eye

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Is this yellow spot something that you can see on the surface of your eyeball when you look in the mirror?

Customer:

no it is like a yellow fuzz that i can see when i look through my eye

Dr. Rick :

Does this yellow fuzz float around in your field of vision?

Dr. Rick :

When you say that you have very, very high blood pressure do you know what the numbers are? Do you take any medicine for your BP?

Customer:

I dont know what the numbers are. I dont like to go to the doctors because i am above the highest level

Customer:

i do not take medication

Dr. Rick :

Well, while this has nothing to do with your visual findings if you have really high BP and are not treating it nothing good will come of that.

Dr. Rick :

In any event this fuzz you are noticing in your vision is most likely from a posterior vitreous detachment.

Customer:

the yellow appears to be a quarter sized spot in the centerand everything appears yellow when i look through it it doesnt seem to float

Dr. Rick :

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Dr. Rick :

Hmm....if it doesn't seem to float around it may not be a PVD as I discussed above.

Dr. Rick :

It could be something to do with the lens in your eye or, maybe, some sort anterior segment issue. In any event the best way to sort out what is going on would be to have a complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist in the near future.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

what is a anterior segment issue

Customer:

how serious is this?

Customer:

this has been going on for about 3 days now

Dr. Rick :

That would involve structures in the front of your eye such as the cornea, tear film, lids etc.

Dr. Rick :

I don't think you will go blind from this but I'd have it checked out this week if possible.

Customer:

does the feeling sick have anything to do with this

Dr. Rick :

That could be from your really high BP....I do not think it directly related to the visual issues you are having.

Customer:

like neasua, light headed, not like myself

Customer:

ok thank you

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.