Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hi on Thursday i woke up with my right eye blurred and during

Hi on Thursday i woke up with my right eye blurred and during the day i could not see out of that eye. The night before i had a forehead headache,pretty strong but thought i was getting a cold like sinis build up.went to the doctor and he told me i had a migrain attack and result in not seeing in one eye.doctor send me to eye specialist and they send me to emergency(next day) had checks but could not find anything and i need to take prednisolone,3 every morning.i need to come back to hospital Tuesday and have a treatment on the infuse,in my arm to fight inflamation or so.wednesday same thing and Thursday same.in those few hours in hospital they will also take some blood tests etc. I have a history of chronic headaches but tension(from the neck) and have had this for many years but i can function with my visits to the osteo every 2 weeks.i have had migrains before but hardly ever.never gave me problems. My ask is what caused this and now being a saturday and my first hospital treatment Tuesday is this too long to wait? Very worried.my gut feeling is inflamation in forehead or migrain attack but i have no other problems. Only thing/ i stopped my medication more then a week ago which is called stresam. Have taken this for 2 years. Stopped and in a week loose sight in my eye? Mascha brautigam ( age 40)
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It is hard for me to tell if waiting until Tuesday is too long to wait for the IV therapy. There are a number of conditions that can cause the symptoms you are having. One that comes to mind,however, is Giant cell arteritis. This disease can attach your optic nerve, as well as other areas/blood vessels in your body.

Dr. Rick :

Here is an excellent article from a highly trusted source on this topic:

Dr. Rick :

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/giant-cell-arteritis/DS00440

Dr. Rick :

There is nothing that you did, including stopping your stresam, that caused this. The treatment you are receiving is to prevent the same thing from happening in your other eye.

Dr. Rick :

If this is the disease your doctors are concerned about they may want to do a biopsy of an artery on the side of your head, preferably in a area that is tender.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are currently offline. We can switch to the Q&A system and continue to work on your question there. An email will be sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. See you there :o)

Dr. Rick :

I am here if you would like to discuss this in more detail.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are typing and that could mean a couple of things: 1. you are actually typing or, 2, the chat system has frozen up. I'll give it a few more minutes and if I've not seen anything from you I'll switch over to the Q&A system. That system works a lot like 'text messaging' but, unlike the chat system, it almost never freezes up. We can continue to work on your question there. :o)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Sorry about the technical difficulties with the chat system today.

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.