Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Eyes are hard to focs with bright light?

Customer Question

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Do you wear glasses or contact lenses? Do you eyes itch, burn or water at all?

Customer:

no i dont wear them. My eyes do burn sometimes and hurt

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are having anterior segment/dry eye issues.

Dr. Rick :

Well It sounds like you have a couple of things going on. First is allergies, second dry eyes and third blepharitis.

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I guess you must have stepped away from your computer. We can switch to the Q&A system and continue to work on your question there. An email will be sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. See you there :o)

Customer:

well im having tension headaches i dont know if that can be it also

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
well im having tension headaches could that be a caused
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Yes, tension headaches, migraines etc can all contribute to visual problems like you are having.

That being said, since it is so easy to do the warm compresses and baby shampoo lid scrubs, I'd give them a try. Hopefully your tension headaches will become less and the home treatment will get your anterior segment/tear film back in order and your problems will resolve.

How does that sound?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
should i get my eyes check in case?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
It would be OK holding off for a couple of weeks to allow the home treatment to kick in before going in to see you local ophthalmologist but, to answer your question, a complete eye exam would be helpful I believe.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do headaches cause needing glasses? I'm not having them but I randomly get lil pains
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Not very often. I do not think that it is a need for glasses that is causing you issue.

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I have a question regarding my daughters eyes. They both have black spots on the white of there eyes. My 3 year old seems to have more blotches. Some look more faded then the others. My 2 year old has one that looks like it ls spreading a bit. We're Hispanic. I'm a bit concerned. There padiatricisn said it happens to certain races .
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
In kids as young as your children the chances of these pigmented areas on their eyes being something "terrible" such as a tumor is much, much less then it would be for an adult. Is such a thing possible? Yes. But very rare.

Given the fact that your pediatrician has examined these pigmented lesions and felt they were nothing to worry about makes me less concerned about them.

Of course, if you are still concerned the best person to evaluate your children's eyes would be a pediatric ophthalmologist. But, from what you have posted I would tend to agree with your pediatrician -- I would bet they are just pigmented areas related to your race rather then something terrible.

Does this make sense to you?

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Please don't click "bad" or "poor" service as this leaves me negative feedback. If you aren't 100% satisfied, just click "reply." I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.
Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My husband and I don't have them. Why is it that both my daughters do? Is it in there genes? My oldest seems to have them more like faded blotches. I will make an appt to be safe. Do these go away?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
That is an excellent question and there is no good answer other then the one you have already said: It's in the genes.

I agree with your plan. You can never go wrong by seeing an expert like a pediatric ophthalmologist just to be sure. As a father of 5 tricycle motors myself I completely understand :-)

From what you have posted, however, I do believe everything will be OK.

As a person who has posted 44 questions you know what to do next ;)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lol, thank you I will get there eyes checked by a pediatric ophthalmologis.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like an excellent plan.

Have a great day.