Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

today i expeience an unusually large number of floaters. I

Customer Question

today i expeience an unusually large number of floaters. I am a late sleeper as i am a nurse and care for an aging parent. many times if i even sleep it is for a short time, i often wake up with slightly swollen lids and prominent eyebags. i am 62 yo in relatively good health, but togehther with a lot of floaters in my left eye I have also noticed flashes along the sideor periphery of my left eye. I have not had my eyes checked in 4 years, i wear bifocals.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are suffering from a posterior vitreous detachment.

Dr. Rick :

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are currently offline. We can switch to the Q&A system and continue to work on your question there. An email will be sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. See you there :o)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what should i do in the meantime? keeep my eyes closed till tomorrow. what can i place over it? By the way doctor, I did see an opthalmologist the very next day. She put me through a series of tests,and thankfully, said that there where no tears in my retina. She however, advised me to call or see her right away should i experience more flashes/floaters. Your diagnoses was right on the button. Thank you,