Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified & Fellowship trained eye surgeon.

I am seeing flashes of light each time I turn my head. It is

I am seeing flashes of light each time I turn my head. It is like a line of light right at the edge of my line of vision. (For example: When I turn my head to the left the flash of light is at the left. When I lift my head the line is at the tpo.) I notice this also happens if I just move my eyes without moving my head and it seems to be only in my left eye. I thought I would make an eye appointment tomorrow. Or do you think I should try to see someone tonight?
Thanks,
Lenna
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Susan : Are you able to chat?
Dr. Susan : Is this line clouding your vision?
Customer:

I don't think so.

Dr. Susan : How long has this been going on?
Customer:

I started noticing flashes of light about a week ago but it only happened a few times a day and I thought it was the light reflecting off my glasses. This afternoon it is happening most every time I move my head and it happens if my glasses are on or off.

Dr. Susan : the symptoms that you are experiencing are more likely form a posterior vitreous detachment (PVD) which is a separation of the vitreous from the retina. Was we age the gel inside of the eye, called the vitreous, liquefies and pulls from its attachments. This is a benign condition but can occasionally can use a retinal tear or hemorrhage. If you notice lots of flashing lights, a shower of floaters or a veil over your vision- you must call your ophthalmologist
Customer:

okay. Thank you.

Dr. Susan : If it increases in frequency or you vision changes please see you eye doctor
Dr. Susan :  Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.
Dr. Susan, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Board Certified & Fellowship trained eye surgeon.