Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I am 55 years old and am contemplating Lasik corrective surgery.

I am 55 years old and am contemplating Lasik corrective surgery. I have astigmatism too. I understand there are different Lasik types. Which type of Lasik is the safest? Exactly how safe is Lasik anyway? That is, what are pros and cons?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Here is an excellent article that goes through every type of lasik available.

Dr. Rick :

http://www.ehow.com/about_5158181_types-lasik-surgery.html

Dr. Rick :

Your surgeon will go over your pre-op data and let you know what type of lasik is right for you. I recommend wavefront lasik for the vast majority of patients as it is safe and very effective. Of all the options available to a normal eye this is the one I feel is "best". Of course, "best" is an individual choice based on your clinical findings. Wavefront lasik works well in patients with astigmatism.

Dr. Rick :

Lasik is very safe. In experienced hands the complication rate is less then 2% with the vast majority if eyes obtaining excellent vision without the use of glasses or contacts.

Dr. Rick :

Since you are over 40 you will, if you have lasik to both eyes, will need to use reading glasses for near vision work. This is true even if you are not using readers at this time. Lasik can not give you excellent distance and excellent near vision at the same time unless you have "monovision"

Dr. Rick :

In monovision lasik one eye is set for near use and one eye is set for far use. Some people can tolerate this, some can't. I would suggest that you try monovision using contact lenses before having this Rx sculpted into your cornea forever.

Dr. Rick :

The pros are that it is safe, effective, stable and makes you less dependent on glasses or contacts.

Dr. Rick :

The cons are that it is surgery and things can, and do, go wrong. Also it is more difficult to measure you true eye pressure after lasik and, should you need cataract surgery later in life, it is more difficult to select the correct intraocular lens power.

Dr. Rick :

If your cornea was too thin to do lasik a decade ago, it will still be too thin. That being said LASEK (see link) may work for you now. The risks are about the same as with lasik.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are currently offline. We can switch to the Q&A system and continue to work on your question there. An email will be sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. See you there :o)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
It was a pleasure to help you. Is there anything else you would like to ask me as it pertains to lasik surgery or your eyes?